Tomcat 4 Internals

Josh G

Hi, I'm looking for a pointer to some information about tomcat
internals, with reference to how long threads and servlet instances are
kept around, and also if there's a way to hook into the creation / death
of a thread.

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers,
-Josh

John C. Bollinger

Josh said:
Hi, I'm looking for a pointer to some information about tomcat
internals, with reference to how long threads and servlet instances are
kept around, and also if there's a way to hook into the creation / death
of a thread.

I recommend that you desist. Look instead at the servlet API (version
2.3), available free from Sun; that will give you details on the
required and allowed behavior of every compliant servlet container.
Anything else will tie your product tightly and irrevocably to a
particular series of Tomcat releases, and perhaps even to one specific
release, instead of giving you something that you can expect to work
with all current and future 2.3-compliant versions of Tomcat and every
other servlet container.

Is there a particular problem you are trying to solve? There may be an
easier approach than whatever it is you are envisioning. If you are
still determined to wed your app to Tomcat then why don't you go get the
source code? That's the authoritative reference, and it's open-source.

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)

Bradley E. Rintoul

Josh G said:
Hi, I'm looking for a pointer to some information about tomcat
internals, with reference to how long threads and servlet instances are
kept around, and also if there's a way to hook into the creation / death
of a thread.

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers,
-Josh

"Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" by O'Reilly seems to me to be a pretty
good source of information.

I don't think servlets go away after they are first used/compiled, I
think they remain loaded until the Tomcat server is shut down unless a
new implementation is auto-deployed with a new web application... but
I'm not sure.

John C. Bollinger

John said:
I recommend that you desist. Look instead at the servlet API (version
2.3), available free from Sun; that will give you details on the
required and allowed behavior of every compliant servlet container.

Oops -- I meant to write "Servlet Specification". Sorry for any confusion.

John Bollinger
(e-mail address removed)