tomcat 4.x : setting mime type for a directory or setting a default mime type

CJ

I want all of the text files in a directory (various unknown
extensions that are not .txt) to be set to text/plain. Using
<extension>*</extension> does not work. Right now users see these text
files unformatted, the carriage returns aren't processed. Strange
thing is that when IE users hit refresh/reload the carriage return is
processed and the text file is displayed properly. Mozilla Firefox
shows the files correctly no matter what. Any ideas? And no, I can't
require all of the users to use Firefox :)

CJ

Andrew Thompson

On 29 Oct 2004 12:35:15 -0700, CJ wrote:

Sub: tomcat 4.x : setting mime type for a directory or setting a default
mime type

Please restate the subject in the body of your post, as a
lot of people ignore the subject, and this post makes a lot
less sense without it.
I want all of the text files in a directory (various unknown
extensions that are not .txt) to be set to text/plain. Using
<extension>*</extension> does not work. Right now users see these text
files unformatted, the carriage returns aren't processed. Strange
thing is that when IE users hit refresh/reload the carriage return is
processed and the text file is displayed properly. Mozilla Firefox
shows the files correctly no matter what. Any ideas? And no, I can't
require all of the users to use Firefox :)

And is this actually a Java question? It sounds like it is more
related to Tomcat configuration or site-design.