tomcat 5.5 deploy webapp in eclipse directory

Discussion in 'Java' started by eunever32@yahoo.co.uk, Feb 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I notice it is discouraged (not allowed) to use <Context> in
    server.xml in tomcat 5.5
    My tomcat is in
    \tomcat\
    webapps\
    \jsp-examples
    \servlet-examples

    But my development environment is not located under my tomcat
    installation

    Instead it is in my eclipse workspace directory ie
    \workspace
    \WebApp\
    \web
    \WEB-INF
    \web.xml

    The documentation would seem to suggest that I need to build a .war
    and deploy into \tomcat\webapps

    But is this really necessary? What about hot-deploy of classes in
    eclipse?

    I tried to figure it out from the documentation but got lost in a sea
    of verbosity.
    (If it was unix I could easily use a symbolic link but this is
    windows)

    Can someone please enlighten me.

    Rgds
    , Feb 3, 2007

  2. none Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I notice it is discouraged (not allowed) to use <Context> in
    > server.xml in tomcat 5.5
    > My tomcat is in
    > \tomcat\
    > webapps\
    > \jsp-examples
    > \servlet-examples
    >
    > But my development environment is not located under my tomcat
    > installation
    >
    > Instead it is in my eclipse workspace directory ie
    > \workspace
    > \WebApp\
    > \web
    > \WEB-INF
    > \web.xml
    >
    > The documentation would seem to suggest that I need to build a .war
    > and deploy into \tomcat\webapps
    >
    > But is this really necessary? What about hot-deploy of classes in
    > eclipse?
    >
    > I tried to figure it out from the documentation but got lost in a sea
    > of verbosity.
    > (If it was unix I could easily use a symbolic link but this is
    > windows)
    >
    > Can someone please enlighten me.
    >
    > Rgds

    you can add a context.xml file the directory:
    $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
    This includes a 'docBase' attribute that can be used to specify the
    directory of your app eg '\workspace\webapp\web'

    See here for more details:

    an example would be:
    <Context docBase="C:\workspace\webapp\web">
    </Context>

    Tim Terry
    www.tim.devisland.net
    none, Feb 3, 2007