    startup and run OK so far...

    Bruce

    , Jul 11, 2006

  2. Juha Laiho Guest

    said:
    >Tomcat 5.5 on Linux. Is it best to install this as root?
    >I initially installed to /usr/local as root. But my development
    >directory is in my home directory (normal user). This lead to a few
    >permissions problems.
    >
    >So, I reinstalled tomcat 5.5 when logged on as a normal user. Seems to
    >startup and run OK so far...

    This is a good first step - however, be careful to not make any inadvertent
    changes to your Tomcat installation. Root is by no means required.

    I've made several installations where tomcat is installed with 'user x',
    and there have been users 'y, z, and w' to actually run Tomcat (so,
    several distinct Tomcat instances run from a single base installation.
    This takes some tweaking, but helps uniformity across projects.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

    Juha Laiho, Jul 11, 2006