Tomcat 5.5+ On a Mac, Under Eclipse, Under OS X

Discussion in 'Java' started by Edward V. Berard, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. People,

    I am having problems developing Java applications on a Mac using
    Eclipse, MyEclipse, and Tomcat 5.5+.

    My current configuration:

    Mac OS X (10.4.5)
    Eclipse (3.1+)
    MyEclipse (4.0+)
    Tomcat (5.5+)

    I have several issues:

    1. How do I get Eclipse to use Java 1.5 by default? I have fiddled with
    the preferences, but I must be missing something.

    I have downloaded and installed Java 1.5, which does not replace
    Java 1.4+

    2. When I attempt to use Tomcat 5.5+, I get a message saying that
    Tomcat 5.5 requires Java 1.5. How do I get Tomcat and Java 1.5
    together.

    I have done a fair amount of Java development using the same configuration
    under MS Windows XP, Service Pack 2, but I am having a hard time
    getting started on the Mac.

    Thank you for any time and consideration.

    -- Ed

    Edward V. Berard, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Edward V. Berard

    Stephan Guest

    Edward V. Berard wrote:
    > People,
    >
    > I am having problems developing Java applications on a Mac using
    > Eclipse, MyEclipse, and Tomcat 5.5+.
    >
    > My current configuration:
    >
    > Mac OS X (10.4.5)
    > Eclipse (3.1+)
    > MyEclipse (4.0+)
    > Tomcat (5.5+)
    >
    > I have several issues:
    >
    > 1. How do I get Eclipse to use Java 1.5 by default? I have fiddled with
    > the preferences, but I must be missing something.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed Java 1.5, which does not replace
    > Java 1.4+
    >
    > 2. When I attempt to use Tomcat 5.5+, I get a message saying that
    > Tomcat 5.5 requires Java 1.5. How do I get Tomcat and Java 1.5
    > together.
    >
    > I have done a fair amount of Java development using the same configuration
    > under MS Windows XP, Service Pack 2, but I am having a hard time
    > getting started on the Mac.
    >
    > Thank you for any time and consideration.
    >
    > -- Ed

    Hi Ed,
    on the Apple Developer Connection page you can download the latest J2SE
    5.0 Release (4 DP7). This version sets jdk 5 as default java version.
    Please read the release notes to this version as this build should "not
    be installed on a system with critical data" due to small amount of
    testing done.

    Best regards, Stephan

    Stephan, Apr 2, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Edward V. Berard <> wrote:

    > People,
    >
    > I am having problems developing Java applications on a Mac using
    > Eclipse, MyEclipse, and Tomcat 5.5+.
    >
    > My current configuration:
    >
    > Mac OS X (10.4.5)
    > Eclipse (3.1+)
    > MyEclipse (4.0+)
    > Tomcat (5.5+)

    I just started using Eclipse 3.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.5.

    > I have several issues:
    >
    > 1. How do I get Eclipse to use Java 1.5 by default? I have fiddled with
    > the preferences, but I must be missing something.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed Java 1.5, which does not replace
    > Java 1.4+

    Indeed, when I installed j2se50release4dp7, CurrentJDK still pointed to
    1.4.2. I'f there's a GUI to change it, i couldn't find it:) Have a look
    in

    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/

    I had to link CurrentJDK to 1.5.0:

    sudo rm CurrentJDK
    sudo ln -s 1.5.0 CurrentJDK

    With this setting, you should be able to use
    JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home or similar depending on your shell.

    John

    --
    John
    jmatthews at wright dot edu

    John B. Matthews, Apr 3, 2006
  4. On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:57:42 -0500, John B. Matthews wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > Indeed, when I installed j2se50release4dp7, CurrentJDK still pointed to
    > 1.4.2. I'f there's a GUI to change it, i couldn't find it:) Have a look
    > in
    >
    > /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/
    >
    > I had to link CurrentJDK to 1.5.0:
    >
    > sudo rm CurrentJDK
    > sudo ln -s 1.5.0 CurrentJDK
    >
    > With this setting, you should be able to use
    > JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home or similar depending on your shell.
    >
    > John

    John,

    Many thanks for the information.

    I was able to link CurrentJDK to 1.5.0, but I am still having trouble
    with Apache Tomcat 5.5+

    Please permit me a few follow-on questions:

    -> Where does one obtain j2se50release4dp7 ?

    I went to the Apple Developers' web site, and saw a number of pages
    dedicated to Java. However, the latest version that I found was
    j2se50release3. I suspect that j2se50release4dp7 is only available
    to "registered developers." (A Google search also turned up nothing
    beyond "release 3".)

    -> The specific error message that I get when I attempt to start up
    Tomcat 5.5 (from within Eclipse/MyEclipse) is:

    "This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0
    or later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and
    installing a compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat binary
    download page."

    Your advice is to "use JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home or similar
    depending on your shell."

    Which particular references to JAVA_HOME should I be modifying
    or creating? I did a little browsing, and found quite a few
    references

    I very much appreciate your time and effort.

    -- Ed

    Edward V. Berard, Apr 3, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    Edward V. Berard <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:57:42 -0500, John B. Matthews wrote
    > (in article
    > <>):
    >
    > > Indeed, when I installed j2se50release4dp7, CurrentJDK still pointed to
    > > 1.4.2. I'f there's a GUI to change it, i couldn't find it:) Have a look
    > > in
    > >
    > > /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/
    > >
    > > I had to link CurrentJDK to 1.5.0:
    > >
    > > sudo rm CurrentJDK
    > > sudo ln -s 1.5.0 CurrentJDK
    > >
    > > With this setting, you should be able to use
    > > JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home or similar depending on your shell.
    > >
    > > John

    > John,
    >
    > Many thanks for the information.
    >
    > I was able to link CurrentJDK to 1.5.0, but I am still having trouble
    > with Apache Tomcat 5.5+
    >
    > Please permit me a few follow-on questions:
    >
    > -> Where does one obtain j2se50release4dp7 ?
    >
    > I went to the Apple Developers' web site, and saw a number of pages
    > dedicated to Java. However, the latest version that I found was
    > j2se50release3. I suspect that j2se50release4dp7 is only available
    > to "registered developers." (A Google search also turned up nothing
    > beyond "release 3".)

    I don't recall logging in, but it works with release 1, too.

    > -> The specific error message that I get when I attempt to start up
    > Tomcat 5.5 (from within Eclipse/MyEclipse) is:
    >
    > "This release of Apache Tomcat was packaged to run on J2SE 5.0
    > or later. It can be run on earlier JVMs by downloading and
    > installing a compatibility package from the Apache Tomcat binary
    > download page."
    >
    > Your advice is to "use JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home or similar
    > depending on your shell."

    Using bash with Tomcat 5.5.16, and looking at RUNNING.txt:

    $ export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home
    $ echo $JAVA_HOME
    /Library/Java/Home
    $ /Users/<user>/Desktop/apache-tomcat-5.5.16/bin/startup.sh
    Using CATALINA_BASE: /Users/<user>/Desktop/apache-tomcat-5.5.16
    Using CATALINA_HOME: /Users/<user>/Desktop/apache-tomcat-5.5.16
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/<user>/Desktop/apache-tomcat-5.5.16/temp
    Using JRE_HOME: /Library/Java/Home
    $ curl -s localhost:8080 | grep success
    you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!</p>

    Using the full pathname to the startup script may be crucial.

    HTH,

    John

    [...]

    John B. Matthews, Apr 4, 2006