Tomcat and jTDS - not that stable...

Rico

Hello ppl.

I've been trying to use jTDS instead of Sun's JDBC-ODBC bridge in our web
application.
I'm running into a couple of issues:

(i) seconds truncated when I getString( ) a column of type datetime,
whereas this doesn't happen with Sun's bridge.

(ii) I get NullPointerException on some data access but the former error
stops when I merely revert the driver and URL back to Sun's bridge

I am wondering, does Tomcat require any particular settings for
'3rd-party' drivers such as jTDS, whereas things are simpler for Sun's
bridge because it is part of the J2SE ?

If so, which settings would those be?
All database accesses are made from plain Java code in WEB-INF\classes
not from JSP.

For another standalone application I've written all I needed was
- driver class
- connection url
- username and password for SQL authentication
And it all works fine so far.

But under Tomcat, after placing jTDS.jar in common\lib, sometimes I run
into 'connection timeout' and subsequently trying to retrieve the data
read into my collections barfs ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

Rico.

Rico

To add on, some rather weird observations:

(ii) I was previously using 'localhost' in the database connection URL.
From comparing and double-checking the compilation dates, I am positive
that I have uploaded onto the server a class that uses the actual computer
name instead of 'localhost'. Despite restarting Tomcat several times and
clearing the 'work' directory, the system is thumbing its nose at me for
when I print out the URL it still says 'localhost'; whereas on my machine
the computer name is printed out as expected. Where is the catche ? :)

(i) Okay, not so weird - the bridge returns the datetime as a String to 3
decimal places; the substring end-index needs to be readjusted to cater
for 1 d.p by jTDS.

Rico.

Rico

To add on, some rather weird observations:

(ii) I was previously using 'localhost' in the database connection URL.
From comparing and double-checking the compilation dates, I am positive
that I have uploaded onto the server a class that uses the actual computer
name instead of 'localhost'. Despite restarting Tomcat several times and
clearing the 'work' directory, the system is thumbing its nose at me for
when I print out the URL it still says 'localhost'; whereas on my machine
the computer name is printed out as expected. Where is the catche ? :)

I hate to be responding to myself... but who cares when it's 3AM ? :p

Anyway, I've _deleted_ the class from WEB-INF/classes/misc ... and
restarted Tomcat.

The class stored the URL as a static final String... and yet Tomcat is
not complaining and happily simply still printing the URL as being the one
with localhost ... I must be missing something very obvious. :S

Rico.

Rico

I hate to be responding to myself... but who cares when it's 3AM ? :p

Anyway, I've _deleted_ the class from WEB-INF/classes/misc ... and
restarted Tomcat.

The class stored the URL as a static final String... and yet Tomcat is
not complaining and happily simply still printing the URL as being the one
with localhost ... I must be missing something very obvious. :S

That calls for a beer. I need a beer. Now.

Rico.

Michiel Konstapel

.... You don't refer to the URL from *another* class, do you? Compile time
constants are inlined at compile time. So, after compilation of

class A {
public static final String FOO = "foo";
}

class B {
void print() {
System.out.println(A.FOO);

B.class actually refers directly to "foo", there's no reference to A at
all.
That calls for a beer. I need a beer. Now.

Hehe :)
Cheers!
Michiel

Rico

... You don't refer to the URL from *another* class, do you? Compile time
constants are inlined at compile time. So, after compilation of

class A {
public static final String FOO = "foo";
}

class B {
void print() {
System.out.println(A.FOO);

B.class actually refers directly to "foo", there's no reference to A at
all.

Hehe :)
Cheers!

Cheers Michiel !
Thanks for the clue. That'd be why things worked after I had recompiled
the other classes that used the constant String.

Rico.

Alin Sinpalean via JavaKB.com

Rico,

If you encounter any problems with jTDS please submit them as bugs on SourceForge. We'll be more than glad to help you out.

Cheers,
Alin Sinpalean,
The jTDS Project.

Rico

Rico,

If you encounter any problems with jTDS please submit them as bugs on
SourceForge. We'll be more than glad to help you out.

Sure Alin. Thanks. I'll drop by some time.
I was facing a problem related to authentication previously.
My test system at home doesn't belong to a domain, SQL authentication
worked fine.
When I uploaded onto the production server, two things:

(i) I didn't upload the latest version of class A that imported static
fields from a separate class B that I had modified.
(ii) jTDS seems to have problems using SQL authentication when running in
Tomcat's "context" when a domain is present.

I solved (i) rather by chance before reading Michael's post to be clearer
on the situation. (ii) was more of a hunch, that I wish had come earlier,
to try and use domain=X and Windows authentication instead.
Not sure if the problem is with Tomcat, jTDS or the domain policy.
Thanks for the invite.

Rico.

Alin Sinpalean via JavaKB.com

Rico,

Being part of a Windows domain does not affect jTDS in any way. jTDS is a pure Java app and SQL authentication is totally independent of Windows domains. It might be the SQL Server configuration or something else.

Alin.