    Help. I'm lost on this one.

    Thanks.

    , Oct 21, 2005

  2. muttley Guest

    i get this sometimes if the tomcat thread executing the jsp / servlet
    throws a low level error. look in the catalina.out and access_log files
    for evidence of a 500 internal server error problem.
    remove any nice error trapping as this might be hiding the default
    stack trace page too.

    hth

    kev.

    muttley, Oct 21, 2005

    Thanks for the tip but no errors being reported in any of the logs.

    Arrrggghhhh !!

    , Oct 21, 2005
  4. wrote:

    > Everything was fine until I restarted tomcat after just making one
    > change to a .java file.

    What change?

    >...I recompiled, everything fine, started Tomcat
    > and now when I access the website the URL

    What is the URL?

    >...resolves as usual but I just
    > get a blank page, no errors, nothing.

    Are you certain? What is the actual *source* of the page
    that arrives in the *browser*. (And no, I'm not suggesting
    you post 250 lines of HTML to the group, just a summary
    will be fine)

    [ Note that '<html><body><h1></h1></body></html>' will render
    absolutley *nothing* in a browser. ]

    Have you validated the end result of your JSP?

    What browsers(s) are you using, and have they been updated
    or patched recently?

    Does the page use any Javascript?

    Note that I might have answered all the above questions
    in the time it took to type this (and perhaps solved the
    problem) if you'd provided the URL...

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 21, 2005

    The change I made was to a simple string in an area of the app that
    would not impact JSPs. Recompilation of the file was fine)

    The source returned to the browser is minimal, as in your example, just
    a few lines of HTML. The JSPs are validated, no changes to jsps was
    done. All was working until Tomcat restart. The jsps get compiled etc.

    I am using IE6, no changes there.

    Some pages us javascript some dont, the problem persists throughout.

    As a test, I created a JSP called index.jsp (it contains no code, just
    one line of text) and threw it in http://forums.fooforums.com , a
    directory containing JSPs (prior to placing index.jsp in this directory
    you could see this list of jsps but clicking on them just returned
    blank pages again). This index.jsp gets compiled fine but still renders
    a blank page (just minimal html), try for yourself.

    Ideas ?

    Thanks,
    Jason.

    , Oct 21, 2005
  6. wrote:

    > Ideas ?

    No, unfortunately.

    [ The only immediate suspicion I had was that you'd
    made a simple HTML error that caused every page to be
    'delivered complete' but render incorrectly. Your extra
    info. - ruled that out. ]

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 21, 2005

    Well, I resolved the issue. There was a jsp-api.jar in the WEB-INF/lib
    directory of the application in question. After removing this jar
    everything was fine. Dont ask me.

    Jason.

    , Oct 21, 2005
  8. Roedy Green Guest

    On 21 Oct 2005 08:50:12 -0700, wrote or quoted
    :

    >I restarted tomcat after just making one
    >change to a .java file.

    It looks to me like the change you made to the .java file (I presume
    you meant .jsp file) is the culprit. Back it out.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 22, 2005