Tomcat don't get cookies from MS IE anymore

patrick_chun_99

Dear Tomcat users,

I have been using Tomcat 5.0.28 for more about half a year now and
everything had been working fine until today (Oct 6, 05) when, all of a
sudden, Tomcat can't seem to get cookies at all from MS Internet
Explorer browsers (various versions from various machines).

If I use Mozilla or Netscape browsers, it works just fine and all
cookies are received by Tomcat.

My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
browser.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Yours,
Patrick

Andrew Thompson

I have been using Tomcat 5.0.28 for more about half a year now and
everything had been working fine until today (Oct 6, 05) when, all of a
sudden, Tomcat can't seem to get cookies at all from MS Internet
Explorer browsers (various versions from various machines).

Did those various versions in various machines all
get upgraded to IE SP2 recently?
If I use Mozilla or Netscape browsers, it works just fine and all
cookies are received by Tomcat.

My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
browser.

In web development, you generally spend more time fixing
problems that occur 'in only one browser', than you do
writing sites. The pity is, if the browser is not IE,
most developers either do not become aware of the
problem, or consider it 'not worth fixing'. :-(

HalcyonWild

Dear Tomcat users,

My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
browser.

Strange!

Do you have automatic updates enabled. Maybe it got some updates from
the MS site. Try clearing your history and delete cookies and files in
the temperory internet files folder, from tools > internet options in
IE. And redeploy.

Andrea Desole

Dear Tomcat users,

I have been using Tomcat 5.0.28 for more about half a year now and
everything had been working fine until today (Oct 6, 05) when, all of a
sudden, Tomcat can't seem to get cookies at all from MS Internet
Explorer browsers (various versions from various machines).

If I use Mozilla or Netscape browsers, it works just fine and all
cookies are received by Tomcat.

My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
browser.

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

I had once a problem like that. The session cookie got lost every time.
The problem was related to something not working in the network,
apparently the reverse name lookup. I don't know exactly how

patrick_chun_99

We've found the reason why cookies from MS Internet Explorer browser
were not accepted: we set the date in the server incorrectly to a year
of 2000 instead of 2005. Once we set the correct year, it worked just
fine!

Thank you for all suggestions!

Patrick Chun
Canada