Tomcat don't get cookies from MS IE anymore

Discussion in 'Java' started by patrick_chun_99@yahoo.com, Oct 7, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Dear Tomcat users,

    I have been using Tomcat 5.0.28 for more about half a year now and
    everything had been working fine until today (Oct 6, 05) when, all of a
    sudden, Tomcat can't seem to get cookies at all from MS Internet
    Explorer browsers (various versions from various machines).

    If I use Mozilla or Netscape browsers, it works just fine and all
    cookies are received by Tomcat.

    My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
    I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
    browser.

    Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

    Yours,
    Patrick

    , Oct 7, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I have been using Tomcat 5.0.28 for more about half a year now and
    > everything had been working fine until today (Oct 6, 05) when, all of a
    > sudden, Tomcat can't seem to get cookies at all from MS Internet
    > Explorer browsers (various versions from various machines).

    Did those various versions in various machines all
    get upgraded to IE SP2 recently?

    > If I use Mozilla or Netscape browsers, it works just fine and all
    > cookies are received by Tomcat.
    >
    > My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
    > I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
    > browser.

    In web development, you generally spend more time fixing
    problems that occur 'in only one browser', than you do
    writing sites. The pity is, if the browser is not IE,
    most developers either do not become aware of the
    problem, or consider it 'not worth fixing'. :-(

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 7, 2005

  3. HalcyonWild Guest

    wrote:

    > Dear Tomcat users,
    >
    > My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
    > I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
    > browser.

    Strange!

    Do you have automatic updates enabled. Maybe it got some updates from
    the MS site. Try clearing your history and delete cookies and files in
    the temperory internet files folder, from tools > internet options in
    IE. And redeploy.

    HalcyonWild, Oct 7, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Dear Tomcat users,
    >
    > I have been using Tomcat 5.0.28 for more about half a year now and
    > everything had been working fine until today (Oct 6, 05) when, all of a
    > sudden, Tomcat can't seem to get cookies at all from MS Internet
    > Explorer browsers (various versions from various machines).
    >
    > If I use Mozilla or Netscape browsers, it works just fine and all
    > cookies are received by Tomcat.
    >
    > My Java servlet code for Tomcat has been unchanged for sometime now and
    > I am unsure what would cause Tomcat not to get cookies only from IE
    > browser.
    >
    > Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

    I had once a problem like that. The session cookie got lost every time.
    The problem was related to something not working in the network,
    apparently the reverse name lookup. I don't know exactly how

    Andrea Desole, Oct 7, 2005

    We've found the reason why cookies from MS Internet Explorer browser
    were not accepted: we set the date in the server incorrectly to a year
    of 2000 instead of 2005. Once we set the correct year, it worked just
    fine!

    Thank you for all suggestions!

    Patrick Chun
    Canada