tomcat doubt

Discussion in 'Java' started by harryos, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. harryos

    harryos Guest

    hi
    i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
    The textbook Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
    default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
    webapps/ROOT.
    I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
    webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
    folder.
    Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

    Also,in the textbook ,the build.xml contains

    <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask" />
    <taskdef name="stop" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask" />

    <target name="init" description="Initializes some properties.">
    <!-- The context-path is just a slash character when it is the
    ROOT application;see the start and stop targets, which already include
    the slash as part of the URL pattern -->
    <property name="context-path" value="" />
    </target>

    <target name="start"
    description="Starts the default Web application">
    <echo message="Starting the default application...."/>
    <start
    url="${url}"
    username="${username}"
    password="${password}"
    path="/${context-path}"
    />
    </target>

    where url=http://localhost:8080/manager

    Is this start target meant for starting tomcat server?Or is this for
    starting manager?

    i am quite new to j2ee .Can someone pls make this clear?
    harryos, Nov 18, 2008

  2. harryos

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    harryos wrote:
    > hi
    > i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
    > The textbook Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
    > default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
    > webapps/ROOT.
    > I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
    > webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
    > folder.
    > Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

    My Tomcat 6 has a ROOT folder.

    > Also,in the textbook ,the build.xml contains
    >
    > <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask" />
    > <taskdef name="stop" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask" />
    >
    > <target name="init" description="Initializes some properties.">
    > <!-- The context-path is just a slash character when it is the
    > ROOT application;see the start and stop targets, which already include
    > the slash as part of the URL pattern -->
    > <property name="context-path" value="" />
    > </target>
    >
    > <target name="start"
    > description="Starts the default Web application">
    > <echo message="Starting the default application...."/>
    > <start
    > url="${url}"
    > username="${username}"
    > password="${password}"
    > path="/${context-path}"
    > />
    > </target>
    >
    > where url=http://localhost:8080/manager
    >
    > Is this start target meant for starting tomcat server?Or is this for
    > starting manager?

    I think it is starting/stopping a specific web app.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 18, 2008

  3. harryos

    stevenhong Guest

    On Nov 19, 3:06 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > harryos wrote:
    > > hi
    > > i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
    > > The textbook  Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
    > > default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
    > > webapps/ROOT.
    > > I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
    > > webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
    > > folder.
    > > Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

    > My Tomcat 6 has a ROOT folder.
    >

    > > Also,in the textbook ,the build.xml contains

    > > <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask" />
    > >  <taskdef name="stop" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask" />

    > > <target name="init" description="Initializes some properties.">
    > >         <!-- The context-path is just a slash character when it is the
    > > ROOT application;see the start and stop targets, which already include
    > > the slash as part of the URL pattern -->
    > >        <property name="context-path" value="" />
    > > </target>

    > > <target name="start"
    > >      description="Starts the default Web application">
    > >        <echo message="Starting the default application...."/>
    > >        <start
    > >           url="${url}"
    > >           username="${username}"
    > >           password="${password}"
    > >           path="/${context-path}"
    > >         />
    > >    </target>

    > > where url=http://localhost:8080/manager

    > > Is this start target meant for starting tomcat server?Or is this for
    > > starting manager?

    > I think it is starting/stopping a specific web app.
    >
    > Arne- Hide quoted text -

    my tomcat version is 6.0.14. the ROOT folder also exists in the weapps
    stevenhong, Nov 19, 2008