Tomcat Hanging

Jase

Hi,

I'm running Tomcat 4.1.10, JDK 1.4 on NT 4 SP6 and every day Tomcat
appears to hang with the browser waiting for a response.

I created a very simple servlet that sent Hello World back to the
browser and similar jsp, and I could call the servlet but not the jsp.
I kind of don't understand why you would be able to call one but not
the other!

The server recieves roughly 50,000 hits a day. The majority of these
hits will either select, insert or update the database. It is
configured to use DBCP (JNDI) if this helps. Also the server is on a
private network rather than on the public domain, so I don't think it
is connectivity problem.

I've gone through all the tomcat logs and cannot find any obvious
errors. I've tried tweaking some of the server.xml configurations,
but it doesn't seem to make any differences.

I suspect that it could be a problem with http connector, the number
sessions open or maybe threads are not being released. Is there
anyway to monitor this part of Tomcat?

Any help would greatly appreciated as I suspect my customer will turn
the system off very soon!

If this is the wrong group to post this type of query please let me
know.

Jase

Michal Dzirba

[cut]

Im only guessing - its hard to tell for sure, but id check if the
connection gets closed after every db [query|update]. A simple
Connection wrapper with a static count of 'connections in use' would
show if this is the case.

Michal

X_AWemner_X

I'm running Tomcat 4.1.10, JDK 1.4 on NT 4 SP6 and every day Tomcat
appears to hang with the browser waiting for a response.

I created a very simple servlet that sent Hello World back to the
browser and similar jsp, and I could call the servlet but not the jsp.
I kind of don't understand why you would be able to call one but not
the other!

Servlet works ok but jsp page does not. Seems like you have a very broken
tomcat, take a newer version of 4.x release and try again. Do you get an
error msg from jsp or it browser just tries to load it forever.

Put some System.out/log calls on jsp page and see how far it can go at
server side. Do you flush the outputstream at the end...

Jase

X_AWemner_X said:
Servlet works ok but jsp page does not. Seems like you have a very broken
tomcat, take a newer version of 4.x release and try again. Do you get an
error msg from jsp or it browser just tries to load it forever.

Put some System.out/log calls on jsp page and see how far it can go at
server side. Do you flush the outputstream at the end...

The browser just tries forever...

X_AWemner_X

I'm running Tomcat 4.1.10, JDK 1.4 on NT 4 SP6 and every day Tomcat
The browser just tries forever...

Try to flush then close the stream and see what happens at clientside. Not
that all this is necessary in jsp files thought.

Jase

X_AWemner_X said:
Try to flush then close the stream and see what happens at clientside. Not
that all this is necessary in jsp files thought.

I did stop the tomcat from crashing everyday, but I've probably masked
the problem.

For your interest; there where a couple of reports that where taking
up all of the process at certain times during a 24hr cycle. I removed
access to all these intensive reports and I manage to keep Tomcat
running 24x7.

I've figure that all resources where being taken up by the sql server
(due to the crap sql syntax written by another consultant) and that
tomcat never managed to recover from that point.

Anyway thanks for your help.