tomcat: how to release port 8080

vizlab

Dear All:
When I started tomcat, I always get error "Address already in use: 8080".
I tried 8181 and it succeeded.
How can I release 8080 so that I can reuse it?

Thanks a lot.

Ryan Stewart

vizlab said:
Dear All:
When I started tomcat, I always get error "Address already in use:
8080".
I tried 8181 and it succeeded.
How can I release 8080 so that I can reuse it?
You can stop or reassign whatever process is using port 8080.

Tilman Bohn

Dear All:
When I started tomcat, I always get error "Address already in use: 8080".
I tried 8181 and it succeeded.
How can I release 8080 so that I can reuse it?

fuser -k 8080/tcp

Might be better to try -v first and see what it actually is you're
killing.

Cheers, Tilman

Steve Burrus

Actually, depending on the specific version which u are using, the port
number can be specified in the conf/server.xml file!! All that the user
has to do is : Go to the particular <DefaultContext> section of the file
that controls your copy of Tomcat, and in the first line of that
section, the port num. can be specified without any problems whatsoever!
I have version 5 of tomcat, so I was wondering where I can specify that
the servlet context can be reloaded??? Can anyone help me with this?