Tomcat Hybrid/Viral Harvesting

Patrick Meuser

To whom it shouldn't concern,

I am an intermediate level developer, self-taught, never completed
highschool (has plans to fix that), who considers self intelligent to know
the difference between a compiler bug, virus and the paranormal. I have
been programming commercial software since 94 (over 120,000 commercial lines
coded and debugged), all of it good, some of the best thrown in the recycle
box over principle of time considered something different in terms of other
developers, I haven't considered what their opinions are besides the fact
that I have sleeping disorder for years due to my interests in computers.
With that said I'm gonna get into some pretty unlikely science on this one
so keep your mind open.

I have suffered in a near infinite series of the square wave since 98 with
what I have come to realize as the hybrid virus. Don't get me wrong, I
consider the fact that virus is life. So how has life itself become
digitized? Well personally this first appeared around the time whether I
was sweating a possible HIV positive status. The bug was at [NO COMERCIAL
REFERENCES] developing a XML-like parser with the StreamTokenizer on
JDK1.1.8. I developed it at home and it worked fine, however when I brought
it back to work the next morning it refused to parse the EOL with an
explicit call to enable the EOL parsing on the StreamTokenizer, it was an
elegant solution at the time without XML. Anyway I was told to redevelop
the object with the StringTokenizer, it worked fine. I was shortly fired
because of my hours (like most jobs I've worked). At the time, my effort
was not particularly in vain, maybe because the new object worked, but
anyway, you know? ;-|

So years later, 2002 after going freelance, I'm developing this application
for a client that requires a JSP server. I started getting very
weird/strange compliers errors stating the constructor was a method with
parameters that didn't exist in the object at all. I took a couple of walks
around the block and returned to the erroneeous bug on Tomcat 3.2.1 I thing
it was (the one before 3.2.4). And then it hit me, this problem has occured
at my work before. Why, its an unnatural virus following me around for 5
years. I'm a firm believer in the paranormal and I know that what ever
virus this is, it had piggybacked a greater system in order to cause
unwanted behaviour in a most unnatural way. Any way after some 'jiggling'
the bug went away--my luck. I still have problems with all versions of
Tomcat in someway or another.

The next encounter was in 2003 after developing a whole set of swing like
GUI objects for JDK1.1.8. I developed a scroll view that fit in the
hierarchy of an abstract component and embedded a big image button. I
changed one of the lines that controlled the scaling (I'm pretty sure), what
I'm sure of is it didn't affect the message queue in anyway. Guess what, my
button didn't work anymore in the scrollview. In fact after adding a
MouseLogger (log all mouse events) to the viewport, the button and the
scroll view itself, it recorded no events. More jiggling. I made some
pointless changes and the bug was fixed after I left it alone for 2 weeks.

Now here I am for the past 2 years of two sepeparate applications for my
client that don't work because of this 'virus'. I coined the term Hybrid
when I noticed no matter how I packed the files for this app that caused
problems in the first Tomcat encounter had included the applet in browser.
How? In an unpacked directory, the class files sit peacefully. I log into
the application I wrote with all known versions of Tomcat. Since I derived
my pages from a common WebPage superclass in 4.0 it failed to compile. In
3.2.1 and 3.2.4 it failed to load the TokenStack class. I could load it
directly with the browser. In 4.1 it was another file (Database I think).
The trip was if I jared the files it would report the same error. Anyway
totally different objects the same behaviour. weird/strange. Its
interesting to note that this affects the browser in conjunction with
Tomcat. Its 'spreading'!

But what got me was the JVM sits ontop of the CPU, with JIT compiling it
becomes a big problem for the piggybacked system that it solves like a maze.
We would quickly ask what dows this have to do with my poor computer? The
answer is that this 'virus' has a life of its own, in other words it
affected my life. We must look at matter in a way particular to Nikola
Tesla wherein objects may possess an innate intelligence. In this case
computer is manifesting an intelligence that few would stop to recognize as
an immune response, this is the key. Here's where my explanation gets
funky. First of all this 'virus' whatever it is will eventually affect the
immune system of the user. Similar in nature to my HIV positive
realizations although I am negative, a big coincidence, maybe. If not, I
manifested a digital version of AIDS on myself because of my own
para-psychology. I've spent months in hospitals because of how it affected
my psychology. People say your crazy if you want virus I guess, but I never
wanted it, I never asked for it but here it is just like magic (See Ed
Fredkin).

So back to the JVM and JIT in the CPU. The nature of information is a
field, I am still pondering that to this day but I know that at the quantum
scale there is such a thing as virtual particles. Virtual particles,
virtual methods, virtual particles, virtual methods..... So stop to think
for a moment that with not one bug report (I feel that commercial code
should remain available only to the corporation) I have 'cleared' this shit
for future attacks. Aha! Why? Because it is in reality a virtual operation
operating beyond the speed of the computer in virtual space is a vector that
assumes the umpteen million dimensions of a modern computers in way that
affects the flux of this not information, but life field. This has profound
implications for all. First my latest bug:

The output in the browser:
ACTIVATE!
Please supply the following information for your user account. Ensure that
your >password is greater than three characters.
Required fields are in bold.

The jsp in Tomcat:
if (admin && !user)
{
%>

<%
}
else
{
%>

<%
}
%>
<%
message=user+" "+admin;
System.err.println(message);
%>
<%=message%>
<BR>*<%=user%>*<BR>
*<%=admin%>*

Note the message fudge, BTW no output to the console either.

I feel that a virtual operation operation could be developed or harvested to
cure all diseases, and perform further paranormal methods for all who care
;-)... Maybe www.innoculation.com with nothing but dope beats, poetry, and
experiences, to reduce the DAIDS threats. I'm sick of this but I never quit
:-(.

Patrick Meuser
(e-mail address removed)

Patrick Meuser

TWISC,

BTW, I'm not complaining, its just hard to find somebody who understands the
implications of this besides just what it means. I advocate awareness of
these phenomena along with several other 'problems' ie. corrupted jsp pages,
etc. in other words text files that were left alone for a month while I'm
working on something else to find them corrupted within the realms of Tomcat
3.2. I am wondering if anyone has encountered something strange in Tomcat,
anything that after an arduous sanity check you may or may not be able to
reproduce. The only measures I have taken is this thread and to create a
zip files with the input/output code, text, screen shots and label them
virus, and mentally tag it dead. This seems effective in all cases I've
mentioned.

Also, I was able to fix that latest JSP bug by restarting the server. I
detected this error when my output screen had the ACTIVATE! title not
SIGN-UP! as it should, coming from someother page that passes admin and user
parameters from the page where they were converted to boolean values. The
parameters must've been parsed incorrectly *and* the jsp_page.java in the
work directory did not reflect changes--sanity check (I shouldn't have been
so hasty), however I find it highly unlikely that the an *old* jsp page
(without the sanity check) was stuck in a cache somehow and the parameters
were being parsed incorrectly at the same time knowing full well that no
other structure related to the parameters was changed. The only changes
after I noticed the bug (ACTIVATE! not SIGN-UP!) in the old page was to
include the sanity check (which was not reflected in the output). I mean
how could this happen besides what some might call magic, is there a
fundamental flaw somewhere in Tomcat/IE that prevents class files being
imported, whether jar'd, furthermore weird errors based on code that
'should' work (after any and all sanity checks). I'd be interested to know
if I'm not alone on this.

I should also better define the term Hybrid virus as follows:
'A malicious attack on discrete systems that requires an operator whom is
aware of unlikely behaviour active in such a system.

scary.. yes operator, not observer.

Thus far I have classified this Tomcat/IE entity as follows:
-hybrid (it needed an operator to code and operate the server, me..)
-mutative (files had been changed open <TD> cells, extra rows added with the
<TD> open)
-encapsulative (it hid the sanity checks, maybe to preserve itself but the
philosphical debate is on)
-selective (certain files, depending on the version of Tomcat were not
loaded by the IE class loader across the gateway whether jar'd or not, local
invocations were successful, loading the file directly was successful across
the gateway)

The nature of this is very strange indeed, as part of a hybrid, I made no
concious effort to affect the files in any way, but that's where the concept
of an active stance on this issue if not for you all, for myself. I don't
really mind the attacks cuz its probably some sick somebody who has it in
his/her mind that an unbalance in the life-field of the universe is
justified in producing a cure for what ever his sickness is, which we all
should hope finds a more efficient way that doesn't include a waste of time,
energy and resources. Somewhere should include a catalogue of such
phenomena. Does this exist? And if so, any links?

If anyone is seriously interested in seeing this magic show, contact me, I
can provide links to the errant IE ClassLoader in action. You'll need your
Java log enabled in the browser.

TIA,
Patrick Meuser
(e-mail address removed)

The rogue title block:

bznutz

Patrick said:
[...]

Have you considered that perhaps Tomcat is just THAT crappy?