Tomcat Hybrid/Viral Harvesting

Discussion in 'Java' started by Patrick Meuser, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. To whom it shouldn't concern,

    I am an intermediate level developer, self-taught, never completed
    highschool (has plans to fix that), who considers self intelligent to know
    the difference between a compiler bug, virus and the paranormal. I have
    been programming commercial software since 94 (over 120,000 commercial lines
    coded and debugged), all of it good, some of the best thrown in the recycle
    box over principle of time considered something different in terms of other
    developers, I haven't considered what their opinions are besides the fact
    that I have sleeping disorder for years due to my interests in computers.
    With that said I'm gonna get into some pretty unlikely science on this one
    so keep your mind open.

    I have suffered in a near infinite series of the square wave since 98 with
    what I have come to realize as the hybrid virus. Don't get me wrong, I
    consider the fact that virus is life. So how has life itself become
    digitized? Well personally this first appeared around the time whether I
    was sweating a possible HIV positive status. The bug was at [NO COMERCIAL
    REFERENCES] developing a XML-like parser with the StreamTokenizer on
    JDK1.1.8. I developed it at home and it worked fine, however when I brought
    it back to work the next morning it refused to parse the EOL with an
    explicit call to enable the EOL parsing on the StreamTokenizer, it was an
    elegant solution at the time without XML. Anyway I was told to redevelop
    the object with the StringTokenizer, it worked fine. I was shortly fired
    because of my hours (like most jobs I've worked). At the time, my effort
    was not particularly in vain, maybe because the new object worked, but
    anyway, you know? ;-|

    So years later, 2002 after going freelance, I'm developing this application
    for a client that requires a JSP server. I started getting very
    weird/strange compliers errors stating the constructor was a method with
    parameters that didn't exist in the object at all. I took a couple of walks
    around the block and returned to the erroneeous bug on Tomcat 3.2.1 I thing
    it was (the one before 3.2.4). And then it hit me, this problem has occured
    at my work before. Why, its an unnatural virus following me around for 5
    years. I'm a firm believer in the paranormal and I know that what ever
    virus this is, it had piggybacked a greater system in order to cause
    unwanted behaviour in a most unnatural way. Any way after some 'jiggling'
    the bug went away--my luck. I still have problems with all versions of
    Tomcat in someway or another.

    The next encounter was in 2003 after developing a whole set of swing like
    GUI objects for JDK1.1.8. I developed a scroll view that fit in the
    hierarchy of an abstract component and embedded a big image button. I
    changed one of the lines that controlled the scaling (I'm pretty sure), what
    I'm sure of is it didn't affect the message queue in anyway. Guess what, my
    button didn't work anymore in the scrollview. In fact after adding a
    MouseLogger (log all mouse events) to the viewport, the button and the
    scroll view itself, it recorded no events. More jiggling. I made some
    pointless changes and the bug was fixed after I left it alone for 2 weeks.

    Now here I am for the past 2 years of two sepeparate applications for my
    client that don't work because of this 'virus'. I coined the term Hybrid
    when I noticed no matter how I packed the files for this app that caused
    problems in the first Tomcat encounter had included the applet in browser.
    How? In an unpacked directory, the class files sit peacefully. I log into
    the application I wrote with all known versions of Tomcat. Since I derived
    my pages from a common WebPage superclass in 4.0 it failed to compile. In
    3.2.1 and 3.2.4 it failed to load the TokenStack class. I could load it
    directly with the browser. In 4.1 it was another file (Database I think).
    The trip was if I jared the files it would report the same error. Anyway
    totally different objects the same behaviour. weird/strange. Its
    interesting to note that this affects the browser in conjunction with
    Tomcat. Its 'spreading'!

    But what got me was the JVM sits ontop of the CPU, with JIT compiling it
    becomes a big problem for the piggybacked system that it solves like a maze.
    We would quickly ask what dows this have to do with my poor computer? The
    answer is that this 'virus' has a life of its own, in other words it
    affected my life. We must look at matter in a way particular to Nikola
    Tesla wherein objects may possess an innate intelligence. In this case
    computer is manifesting an intelligence that few would stop to recognize as
    an immune response, this is the key. Here's where my explanation gets
    funky. First of all this 'virus' whatever it is will eventually affect the
    immune system of the user. Similar in nature to my HIV positive
    realizations although I am negative, a big coincidence, maybe. If not, I
    manifested a digital version of AIDS on myself because of my own
    para-psychology. I've spent months in hospitals because of how it affected
    my psychology. People say your crazy if you want virus I guess, but I never
    wanted it, I never asked for it but here it is just like magic (See Ed
    Fredkin).

    So back to the JVM and JIT in the CPU. The nature of information is a
    field, I am still pondering that to this day but I know that at the quantum
    scale there is such a thing as virtual particles. Virtual particles,
    virtual methods, virtual particles, virtual methods..... So stop to think
    for a moment that with not one bug report (I feel that commercial code
    should remain available only to the corporation) I have 'cleared' this shit
    for future attacks. Aha! Why? Because it is in reality a virtual operation
    operating beyond the speed of the computer in virtual space is a vector that
    assumes the umpteen million dimensions of a modern computers in way that
    affects the flux of this not information, but life field. This has profound
    implications for all. First my latest bug:

    The output in the browser:
    >ACTIVATE!

    >Please supply the following information for your user account. Ensure that

    your >password is greater than three characters.
    >Required fields are in bold.

    The jsp in Tomcat:
    if (admin && !user)
    {
    %>

    <%
    }
    else
    {
    %>

    <%
    }
    %>
    <%
    message=user+" "+admin;
    System.err.println(message);
    %>
    <%=message%>
    <BR>*<%=user%>*<BR>
    *<%=admin%>*

    Note the message fudge, BTW no output to the console either.

    I feel that a virtual operation operation could be developed or harvested to
    cure all diseases, and perform further paranormal methods for all who care
    ;-)... Maybe www.innoculation.com with nothing but dope beats, poetry, and
    experiences, to reduce the DAIDS threats. I'm sick of this but I never quit
    :-(.

    Patrick Meuser

    Patrick Meuser, Aug 16, 2003

  2. TWISC,

    BTW, I'm not complaining, its just hard to find somebody who understands the
    implications of this besides just what it means. I advocate awareness of
    these phenomena along with several other 'problems' ie. corrupted jsp pages,
    etc. in other words text files that were left alone for a month while I'm
    working on something else to find them corrupted within the realms of Tomcat
    3.2. I am wondering if anyone has encountered something strange in Tomcat,
    anything that after an arduous sanity check you may or may not be able to
    reproduce. The only measures I have taken is this thread and to create a
    zip files with the input/output code, text, screen shots and label them
    virus, and mentally tag it dead. This seems effective in all cases I've
    mentioned.

    Also, I was able to fix that latest JSP bug by restarting the server. I
    detected this error when my output screen had the ACTIVATE! title not
    SIGN-UP! as it should, coming from someother page that passes admin and user
    parameters from the page where they were converted to boolean values. The
    parameters must've been parsed incorrectly *and* the jsp_page.java in the
    work directory did not reflect changes--sanity check (I shouldn't have been
    so hasty), however I find it highly unlikely that the an *old* jsp page
    (without the sanity check) was stuck in a cache somehow and the parameters
    were being parsed incorrectly at the same time knowing full well that no
    other structure related to the parameters was changed. The only changes
    after I noticed the bug (ACTIVATE! not SIGN-UP!) in the old page was to
    include the sanity check (which was not reflected in the output). I mean
    how could this happen besides what some might call magic, is there a
    fundamental flaw somewhere in Tomcat/IE that prevents class files being
    imported, whether jar'd, furthermore weird errors based on code that
    'should' work (after any and all sanity checks). I'd be interested to know
    if I'm not alone on this.

    I should also better define the term Hybrid virus as follows:
    'A malicious attack on discrete systems that requires an operator whom is
    aware of unlikely behaviour active in such a system.

    scary.. yes operator, not observer.

    Thus far I have classified this Tomcat/IE entity as follows:
    -hybrid (it needed an operator to code and operate the server, me..)
    -mutative (files had been changed open <TD> cells, extra rows added with the
    <TD> open)
    -encapsulative (it hid the sanity checks, maybe to preserve itself but the
    philosphical debate is on)
    -selective (certain files, depending on the version of Tomcat were not
    loaded by the IE class loader across the gateway whether jar'd or not, local
    invocations were successful, loading the file directly was successful across
    the gateway)

    The nature of this is very strange indeed, as part of a hybrid, I made no
    concious effort to affect the files in any way, but that's where the concept
    of an active stance on this issue if not for you all, for myself. I don't
    really mind the attacks cuz its probably some sick somebody who has it in
    his/her mind that an unbalance in the life-field of the universe is
    justified in producing a cure for what ever his sickness is, which we all
    should hope finds a more efficient way that doesn't include a waste of time,
    energy and resources. Somewhere should include a catalogue of such
    phenomena. Does this exist? And if so, any links?

    If anyone is seriously interested in seeing this magic show, contact me, I
    can provide links to the errant IE ClassLoader in action. You'll need your
    Java log enabled in the browser.

    TIA,
    Patrick Meuser

    The rogue title block:

    Patrick Meuser, Aug 17, 2003

  3. Patrick Meuser

    bznutz Guest

    Patrick Meuser wrote:

> [...]

    > else
    > {
    > %>

    > <%
    > }
    > %>
    > <%
    > message=user+" "+admin;
    > System.err.println(message);
    > %>
    > <%=message%>
    > <BR>*<%=user%>*<BR>
    > *<%=admin%>*
    >
    > Note the message fudge, BTW no output to the console either.
    >
    > I feel that a virtual operation operation could be developed or harvested
    > to cure all diseases, and perform further paranormal methods for all who
    > care ;-)... Maybe www.innoculation.com with nothing but dope beats,
    > poetry, and
    > experiences, to reduce the DAIDS threats. I'm sick of this but I never

    Have you considered that perhaps Tomcat is just THAT crappy?
    --
    I'm a total dork married to a total hottie!!
    bznutz at sarcastic-bastard dot com

    bznutz, Aug 17, 2003