    I did same thing in windows XP and it works.
    So, is there anything I need to modified in Linux?

    Thanks in advance.
    JAVA Rookie, Dec 20, 2003

  2. JAVA Rookie wrote:

    > Hi all:
    > I have Mandrake 9.2, apache, and tomcat installed, then I stopped apache,
    > stopped tomcat, modified port number from 8080 to 80 at tomcat,
    > then restart tomcat only, when i typed http://localhost, I did not saw
    > tomcat welcome page.
    > I did same thing in windows XP and it works.
    > So, is there anything I need to modified in Linux?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hi, this should normally work. Please make sure that you didn't start
    Apache as well. Check akso the log files for Tomcat, and look for any
    errors. Try also to connect to http://localhost:8080, maybe your config
    change wasn't correct? Could you connect to Apache before on port 80?
    Please provide any additional info that could help us to solve your problem.
    Brgds,
    Herman
    --
    Suse Linux Professional 8.1 on Athlon 1.1 Ghz 512 Mb
    Anti Spam = remove the "dot" and the "at"
    Herman Timmermans, Dec 20, 2003

  3. JAVA Rookie

    Ashton Guest

    In article <>,
    JAVA Rookie <> wrote:

    > I have Mandrake 9.2, apache, and tomcat installed, then I stopped apache,
    > stopped tomcat, modified port number from 8080 to 80 at tomcat,
    > then restart tomcat only, when i typed http://localhost, I did not saw tomcat
    > welcome page.

    Were you starting Tomcat as root? If not, it may have failed to
    allocate the low-numbered port.

    (What *did* you see? Does 'netstat -l' show anything listening on port
    80?)

    Ashton, Dec 20, 2003
  4. JAVA Rookie

    Sudsy Guest

    JAVA Rookie wrote:
    > Hi all:
    > I have Mandrake 9.2, apache, and tomcat installed, then I stopped apache,
    > stopped tomcat, modified port number from 8080 to 80 at tomcat,
    > then restart tomcat only, when i typed http://localhost, I did not saw tomcat
    > welcome page.
    > I did same thing in windows XP and it works.
    > So, is there anything I need to modified in Linux?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It's definitely a matter of starting it as root. Unprivileged users
    cannot bind to well known ports. The log error message should have
    indicated "could not bind...".
    Sudsy, Dec 20, 2003