Tomcat Manager Not Able To (re)Deploy New War

Discussion in 'Java' started by Richard, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    We had a problem where Tomcat's manager is not able to (re)deploy a
    war file after a manager remove. The problem was traced to the
    situation when a servlet (or tomcat) has one or more of the servlet's
    jar libs locked (in use). If this is the case, tomcat manager is not
    able to delete it during the remove and any subsequent deploy fails
    because the locked jar cannot be replaced by the manager.

    We were not able to discover a method to prevent the jar from being
    locked or a method to unlock the jar other than restarting tomcat (an
    undesirable solution) and then deleting it by hand.

    What we did discover is that the manager behaves differently if you
    are using an optional meta-inf/context.xml file in your war file.
    Instead of unpacking the war file in the webapps directory, your
    application is unpacked to
    tomcathome/work/Standalone/localhost/<yourappname>. This isn't really
    important but what is is that when you deploy here the manager will
    not fail if a jar is locked. It simply ignores the locked jar and
    leaves it in place.

    This behavior can be good or bad. If the jar you are replacing has a
    new version that you are trying to install it's bad because it doesn't
    get installed. However if the jar is the same as before then it
    doesn't hurt that it is not replaced.

    I just wanted to document this behavior so that when I forget I can
    find this again!

    Richard
    willirl

    Richard, Aug 4, 2003