Tomcat not starting

Discussion in 'Java' started by Manish Hatwalne, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. I am trying to start Tomcat 4.1 on Windows 2000 for quite some time, but it
    fails immediately after startup, and I get this error -

    D:\Tomcat 4.1\bin>startup
    Using CATALINA_BASE: D:\Tomcat 4.1
    Using CATALINA_HOME: D:\Tomcat 4.1
    Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: D:\Tomcat 4.1\temp
    Using JAVA_HOME: C:\j2sdk1.4.0_01
    Oct 12, 2004 2:34:15 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry loadRegistry
    INFO: Loading registry information
    Oct 12, 2004 2:34:15 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getRegistry
    INFO: Creating new Registry instance
    Oct 12, 2004 2:34:17 PM org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry getServer
    INFO: Creating MBeanServer
    Oct 12, 2004 2:34:22 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
    Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
    Apache Tomcat/4.1.18
    Exception during startup processing
    at
    )
    at
    ..java:25)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
    Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not available.
    at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.init(SecureRandom.java:86)
    at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.<init>(SecureRandom.java:65)
    at java.security.SecureRandom.<init>(SecureRandom.java:131)
    at
    sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcces
    sorImpl.java:
    39)
    at
    sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstruc
    torAccessorIm
    pl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
    at org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.getRandom(ManagerBase.java:477)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.session.ManagerBase.generateSessionId(ManagerBase.java:6
    75)
    at
    org.apache.catalina.session.StandardManager.start(StandardManager.java:620)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3570)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:738)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1188)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:347)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:497)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2189)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:512)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
    .... 5 more
    D:\Tomcat 4.1\bin>

    How do I fix this? I believe the Java home is correct, however I do have few
    more JVMs (1.3 and 1.2) on my machine and I do need them all. What do I do
    now????

    TIA,
    - Manish

    Manish Hatwalne, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Manish Hatwalne

    Sudsy Guest

    Manish Hatwalne wrote:
    <snip>
    > Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not available.

    <snip>

    There's the nub of the problem. SHA-1 is Secure Hash Algorithm. I don't
    know where in the world you're located but there are still some export
    restrictions on cryptography elements. If you picked up the version of
    the JDK/JRE designed for export then it might not include this crpyto
    algorithm.
    Depending on your situation and JDK/JRE version, you might have to
    download the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension).

    Sudsy, Oct 12, 2004

  3. "Sudsy" <> wrote in message
    > Manish Hatwalne wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not available.

    > <snip>
    >
    > There's the nub of the problem. SHA-1 is Secure Hash Algorithm. I don't
    > know where in the world you're located but there are still some export
    > restrictions on cryptography elements. If you picked up the version of
    > the JDK/JRE designed for export then it might not include this crpyto
    > algorithm.
    > Depending on your situation and JDK/JRE version, you might have to
    > download the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension).

    I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.

    Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
    immediately.
    From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
    JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

    TIA,
    - Manish

    Manish Hatwalne, Oct 12, 2004
  4. Manish Hatwalne

    Sudsy Guest

    Manish Hatwalne wrote:
    <snip>
    > I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.
    >
    > Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
    > immediately.
    > From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
    > JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

    Thought so. Plus you no doubt downloaded the export version, without
    crypto. You can download JCE from <http://java.sun.com> but I don't
    know that it will work with 1.4.
    You might just have to bite the bullet and download a new, complete
    version.

    Sudsy, Oct 12, 2004

  5. > I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.

    > Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
    > immediately.
    > From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
    > JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

    OK. I found required policy jar files on Sun's ste, but now they have these
    JCE policy files only for JDK 1.4.2 and not for JDK 1.4.0 :(
    Where can I get this???

    - Manish

    Manish Hatwalne, Oct 12, 2004
  6. It looks like Tomcat is looking for some encryption libraries that
    aren't available. Did you get the "international" version of the JDK?
    I don't think it includes the Java Cryptography Excetions (JCE)...
    try installing the JCE:

    http://java.sun.com/products/jce/

    //Nathan

    Nathan Zumwalt, Oct 12, 2004
  7. Manish Hatwalne

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    Manish Hatwalne <> wrote:
    > "Sudsy" <> wrote in message
    >> Manish Hatwalne wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>> Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not
    >>> available. <snip>

    >> There's the nub of the problem. SHA-1 is Secure Hash Algorithm. I
    >> don't know where in the world you're located but there are still
    >> some export restrictions on cryptography elements. If you picked up
    >> the version of the JDK/JRE designed for export then it might not
    >> include this crpyto algorithm.
    >> Depending on your situation and JDK/JRE version, you might have to
    >> download the JCE (Java Cryptography Extension).

    > I am located in India and My JDK is j2sdk1.4.0_01 which is rather old.
    >
    > Due to bandwidth restrictions, I can't upgrade to JDK 1.4.2 or later
    > immediately.
    > From where can I load this JCE and where should I copy it? (is it
    > JAVA_HOME/jre/lib ?)

    Hello Manish

    You can download the newer Tomcat version 5.0.28. This version is working
    fine with my j2sdk1.4. Moreover, the download is just about 5 mb which is
    much smaller then jdk.

    --

    Homepage
    http://madhur.netfirms.com

    Madhur Ahuja, Oct 12, 2004
  8. > Hello Manish

    > You can download the newer Tomcat version 5.0.28. This version is working
    > fine with my j2sdk1.4. Moreover, the download is just about 5 mb which is
    > much smaller then jdk.

    You sure it's about 5 MB?
    I see it as 12.4 MB on the site.

    http://apache.gr-linux.net/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.28/bin/

    I was hoping to avoid this download, but it seems inevitable.
    Unfortunately, these days Computer magazines are not distributing JDK and
    Tomcat, don't know why???
    Not everybody has fast connection! :(

    - Manish

    Manish Hatwalne, Oct 13, 2004
  9. Manish Hatwalne

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    Manish Hatwalne <> wrote:
    >> Hello Manish
    >>
    >> You can download the newer Tomcat version 5.0.28. This version is
    >> working fine with my j2sdk1.4. Moreover, the download is just about
    >> 5 mb which is much smaller then jdk.
    >>

    > You sure it's about 5 MB?
    > I see it as 12.4 MB on the site.
    >
    > http://apache.gr-linux.net/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.28/bin/

    OOps! Sorry, you are correct. It is indeed 12.4 MB.

    > I was hoping to avoid this download, but it seems inevitable.
    > Unfortunately, these days Computer magazines are not distributing JDK
    > and Tomcat, don't know why???
    > Not everybody has fast connection! :(

    Look up June 04 issue of Developer IQ, they have all sorts of tools from
    apache such as Ant etc.... I am sure it must be carrying Tomcat.

    --

    Homepage
    http://madhur.netfirms.com

    Madhur Ahuja, Oct 13, 2004