Tomcat on Linux Platform

mania

Hello,

I have installed tomcat 5.5.15 on Fedora Core 3 , it is
running on the host but when i want to access it from remote machine
using IP address of server ( host on which tomcat is running ) it is
showing the error. The error is Gateway could not retrive the page. Can
anybody suggest me that how to do that?? I used the defult port 8080.
http://ip:8080/ is this the right way to do ? It is working
on windows platform.

regards.

tom fredriksen

mania said:
Hello,

I have installed tomcat 5.5.15 on Fedora Core 3 , it is
running on the host but when i want to access it from remote machine
using IP address of server ( host on which tomcat is running ) it is
showing the error. The error is Gateway could not retrive the page. Can
anybody suggest me that how to do that?? I used the defult port 8080.

Generally that is the way to do it.

Does it work from the local machine or across a network? do you have a
local firewall or a router w/firewall in between? You can also check the
catalina log file so see whether tomcat receives a request at all.

/tom

none

tom said:
Generally that is the way to do it.

Does it work from the local machine or across a network? do you have a
local firewall or a router w/firewall in between? You can also check the
catalina log file so see whether tomcat receives a request at all.

/tom
double check tomcat's server.xml for the configuration of the host
element, as it may be listening on localhost or 127.0.0.1 and won't be
accessible from a remote machine. If so, change this to the domain name/
public ip of the box.

Tim

ossie.moore

Most likely, yoru Linux box is doing what any self-respecting OS should
do, protect its self from intruders. The reason you can't access it
from a remote machine is that your firewall is preventing remote users
from accessing your machine.

To fix this, just open TCP port 8080. The firewall gui till is
available from the menu, but i'm not on FC3 anymore, but you can launch
the gui program from the command line by running the...
redhat-config-securitylevel ...command.

mania

Thanks.
I disabled the firewall settings from system settings-> security
level of FC3 and now its working.

mania

Thanks.
I disabled the firewall settings from system settings-> security
level of FC3 and now its working.

Nigel Wade

mania said:
Thanks.
I disabled the firewall settings from system settings-> security
level of FC3 and now its working.

That's a big mistake unless your system is on a private network. The firewall is
there to protect it from the big, bad, world.

You really ought to learn how to open ports in the firewall.

mania

Thanks Nigel for your suggestion. I opened the default port for tomcat
which is 8080.