Tomcat on Windows: JAVA_HOME & -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches'

Paul Moloney

Apologies for posting this here, but I couldn't find any Tomcat user
forum.

A colleague is currently trying to run Tomcat 4.1.30 on Windows 2000
Professional. She first installed JRE2 1.4.2_08, and set %JAVA_HOME%
to the directory C:\j2re1.4.2_08 - I've run "java -version" and it
works fine.
(%JAVA_HOME%/home is in the path correctly).

She then installed Tomcat to C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30.

However, when she runs catalina.sh start, she gets the following
error:

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30\temp
Using JAVA_HOME: C:\j2re1.4.2_08
'-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches' is not recognized as an internal or external
command,
operable program or batch file.

I've even tried adding the following to catalina.bat without success:

if not "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" goto gotJavaHome
set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2re1.4.2_08
:gotJavaHome

Can anyone see where we might be going wrong?

Cheers,

P.

Arnaud Berger

Hi,

It seems to me that Tomcat requires a JDK not a JRE (I think because it may
use the javac compiler for JSPs at least).

The launcher script says :
JAVA_HOME Must point at your Java Development Kit installation.

So it really must be a JDK.

Regards,

Arnaud