Tomcat Performance Problem (W2K)

Michael Schroeder

Hi all

I have a strange performance problem using Tomcat:

Versions:
Java 1.4.1_03-b02
Tomcat 4.1.27-LE
PC1: Windows 2000 Server latest SP
PC2: Windows XP latest SP

I have a simple JSP-application that makes use of an ODBC database
(access). When I run it using Tomcat on PC2 (XP) its performance is
very good. However, running on PC1 (W2K Server) is orders of
magnitudes slower! :-(

I have already read most of the relevant manuals and tried various
settings (server.xml, JAVA_OPTS, ...). No help.

Has anybody observed similiar problems?
Any help is appreciated...

Greetings
Michael Schroeder

Jon Skeet

Michael Schroeder said:
I have a strange performance problem using Tomcat:

Versions:
Java 1.4.1_03-b02
Tomcat 4.1.27-LE
PC1: Windows 2000 Server latest SP
PC2: Windows XP latest SP

I have a simple JSP-application that makes use of an ODBC database
(access).

That sounds like a bad move to start with, to be honest - especially if
you're using the JDBC-ODBC bridge, which really isn't meant for
production.
When I run it using Tomcat on PC2 (XP) its performance is
very good. However, running on PC1 (W2K Server) is orders of
magnitudes slower! :-(

I have already read most of the relevant manuals and tried various
settings (server.xml, JAVA_OPTS, ...). No help.

Has anybody observed similiar problems?
Any help is appreciated...

Have you tried a stand-alone app which does similar database access, to
see whether it's likely to be that or Tomcat itself?

Michael Schroeder

Thank you very much for your answer, Jon!

Jon Skeet said:
That sounds like a bad move to start with, to be honest - especially if
you're using the JDBC-ODBC bridge, which really isn't meant for
production.
Unfortunately, I am not able to change the design of the application.
On PC2 the perfomance of the application is very good.
Have you tried a stand-alone app which does similar database access, to
see whether it's likely to be that or Tomcat itself?
I haven't had time for this. Since the performance is good on PC2, I
guess the problem is related to the configuration of W2K/tomcat/java.

Are there any pecularities for running java apps on W2K server?

Greetings
Michael

Jon Skeet

I haven't had time for this. Since the performance is good on PC2, I
guess the problem is related to the configuration of W2K/tomcat/java.

Are there any pecularities for running java apps on W2K server?

Not particularly, that I know of. I would seriously suggest running
that stand-alone app to test performance - it shouldn't be that hard to
write.