Tomcat problem

Discussion in 'Java' started by Philthy, Dec 3, 2012.

  1. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    Hi Newsgroup!

    I just installed Tomcat on my computer.

    I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

    I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
    isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.


    Thanks.
     
    Philthy, Dec 3, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Philthy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/3/2012 2:28 AM, Philthy wrote:
    > I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >
    > I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    > Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.
    >
    > I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
    > isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.


    Do you know what Tomcat is?

    I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
    copy paste from Word to a servlet container.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 3, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    On 2012-12-04 01:53:56 +1100, Arne Vajhøj said:

    > On 12/3/2012 2:28 AM, Philthy wrote:
    >> I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >>
    >> I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    >> Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.
    >>
    >> I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
    >> isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

    >
    > Do you know what Tomcat is?
    >
    > I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
    > copy paste from Word to a servlet container.
    >
    > Arne


    Thanks for your help!

    I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.
    So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the
    web. I think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I
    installed it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a
    menu for Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to
    have had the problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only
    defective copy.
     
    Philthy, Dec 3, 2012
    #3
  4. Philthy <> wrote:
    > I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.
    > So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the
    > web. I think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I
    > installed it, I can't find an Edit menu for it.


    I'm feeling a bit sorry for the fish, but nevertheless here it is:
    ,
    <°((((><
    `
     
    Andreas Leitgeb, Dec 3, 2012
    #4
  5. Philthy

    markspace Guest

    On 12/3/2012 8:54 AM, Philthy wrote:

    > I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web. So
    > I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the web. I
    > think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I installed
    > it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a menu for
    > Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to have had the
    > problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only defective copy.



    I'm sure you're trolling us, but whatever. Here's the instructions you
    didn't read:

    <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html>
     
    markspace, Dec 3, 2012
    #5
  6. Philthy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/3/2012 11:54 AM, Philthy wrote:
    > On 2012-12-04 01:53:56 +1100, Arne Vajhøj said:
    >> On 12/3/2012 2:28 AM, Philthy wrote:
    >>> I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >>>
    >>> I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    >>> Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.
    >>>
    >>> I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
    >>> isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

    >>
    >> Do you know what Tomcat is?
    >>
    >> I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
    >> copy paste from Word to a servlet container.


    > I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web. So
    > I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the web. I
    > think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I installed
    > it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a menu for
    > Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to have had the
    > problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only defective copy.


    Tomcat can run a Java web application.

    Java web application is Java code (and JSP etc.).

    You do not write a Java web application in Word (I hope!).

    You are probably looking for a CMS which is a web app
    where you just add information.

    There are CMS'es that run on Tomcat.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 3, 2012
    #6
  7. Philthy

    Jan Burse Guest

    Philthy schrieb:
    > Hi Newsgroup!
    >
    > I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >
    > I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    > Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.
    >
    > I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
    > isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.
    >
    >
    > Thanks.
    >


    Since tomcat is a cat, you have to feed
    it with sheba first. Otherwise it will
    refuse to do anything for you.

    Bye

    sheba = Edit config/server.xml etc..
     
    Jan Burse, Dec 3, 2012
    #7
  8. Philthy

    Lew Guest

    Philthy wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj said:
    >> Philthy wrote:
    >>> I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >>> I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    >>> Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.


    Try READING THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PRODUCT.

    >>> I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it


    You use a product completely incorrectly, without any understanding of whatit
    is, without any reference to its documentation, for a task for which it is not designed,
    and you blame the /product/?

    Look up "hubris" in the dictionary. It applies to your approach.

    >>> isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.


    Well, duh.

    >> Do you know what Tomcat is?
    >> I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
    >> copy paste from Word to a servlet container.

    >
    > I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.


    And you didn't bother to read anything, try to understand anything, follow
    any instructions, or even get the most minimal idea of what Tomcat is.

    > So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the


    Too bad for you.

    > web. I think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I


    Wow. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ.

    PEBKAC

    > installed it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a
    > menu for Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to
    > have had the problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only
    > defective copy.


    "Your" Tomcat is not defective.

    Learn first. Whine second. Don't blame others for your ineptitude, dude.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Dec 3, 2012
    #8
  9. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    On 2012-12-04 06:20:08 +1100, Lew said:

    > Philthy wrote:
    >> Arne Vajhøj said:
    >>> Philthy wrote:
    >>>> I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >>>> I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    >>>> Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

    >
    > Try READING THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PRODUCT.


    This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
    can't find the section about importing from Word.

    >
    >>>> I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it

    >
    > You use a product completely incorrectly, without any understanding of what it
    > is, without any reference to its documentation, for a task for which it
    > isnot designed,
    > and you blame the /product/?
    >
    > Look up "hubris" in the dictionary. It applies to your approach.
    >
    >>>> isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

    >
    > Well, duh.


    All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.

    >
    >>> Do you know what Tomcat is?
    >>> I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
    >>> copy paste from Word to a servlet container.

    >>
    >> I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.

    >
    > And you didn't bother to read anything, try to understand anything, follow
    > any instructions, or even get the most minimal idea of what Tomcat is.


    The person who advised to use Tomcat works in computers and knows a
    real lot about Javascript and CSS. I trust his advice more than your
    opinion.

    >
    >> So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the

    >
    > Too bad for you.


    I don't understand why you are being dismissive. I simply asked for
    help thinking that there were people in this chat room who might know
    something about Tomcat. It is pretty obvious that nobody here knows the
    answer.
     
    Philthy, Dec 4, 2012
    #9
  10. On 03/12/2012 08:28, Philthy allegedly wrote:
    > Hi Newsgroup!
    >
    > I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >
    > I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    > Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.
    >
    > I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
    > isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.


    ROFL! Excellent.

    --
    DF.
     
    Daniele Futtorovic, Dec 4, 2012
    #10
  11. Philthy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/4/2012 9:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
    > On 2012-12-04 06:20:08 +1100, Lew said:
    >> Philthy wrote:
    >>> Arne Vajhøj said:
    >>>> Philthy wrote:
    >>>>> I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >>>>> I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    >>>>> Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

    >>
    >> Try READING THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PRODUCT.

    >
    > This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
    > can't find the section about importing from Word.


    I am sure your cars owners manual does not specify how to
    make lasagne.

    That does not mean that your cars owners manual is incomplete.

    >>>>> I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it

    >>
    >> You use a product completely incorrectly, without any understanding of
    >> what it
    >> is, without any reference to its documentation, for a task for which
    >> it isnot designed,
    >> and you blame the /product/?
    >>
    >> Look up "hubris" in the dictionary. It applies to your approach.
    >>
    >>>>> isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

    >>
    >> Well, duh.

    >
    > All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.


    It would surprise me if people with Dawns Syndrome think so,
    but I can not rule out the possibility.

    What I do know is that people with a certain level of IT expertise
    knows that not all applications has menus.

    >>>> Do you know what Tomcat is?
    >>>> I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
    >>>> copy paste from Word to a servlet container.
    >>>
    >>> I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.

    >>
    >> And you didn't bother to read anything, try to understand anything,
    >> follow
    >> any instructions, or even get the most minimal idea of what Tomcat is.

    >
    > The person who advised to use Tomcat works in computers and knows a real
    > lot about Javascript and CSS. I trust his advice more than your opinion.


    Knowledge about JavaScript and CSS does not imply knowledge about
    Tomcat.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 4, 2012
    #11
  12. Philthy

    markspace Guest

    On 12/4/2012 6:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
    >
    > This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
    > can't find the section about importing from Word.


    I'm still 99% sure this is a troll. No one is this dumb. However:
    there's no section about importing from Word because Tomcat doesn't do
    that. It uses its own format, and doesn't read any Microsoft ones.

    >
    > All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.


    Tomcat isn't an app. It's a server, and a deamon. Look those words up.


    > I don't understand why you are being dismissive.


    Seriously, at your level of apparent expertise, you have no hope of
    getting Tomcat running correctly. I think your friend who recommended
    it was having some fun at your expense.
     
    markspace, Dec 4, 2012
    #12
  13. Philthy

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:17:09 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > On 12/4/2012 9:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
    > [...]


    Why do you continue to feed this obvious troll ? Just ignore it until it
    goes away. If you feed it too much, it will start coming back here for
    more.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    --
    Ich lese meine Emails nicht, replies to Email bleiben also leider
    ungelesen.
     
    Joerg Meier, Dec 4, 2012
    #13
  14. Philthy

    Silvio Guest

    On 12/03/2012 08:28 AM, Philthy wrote:
    > Hi Newsgroup!
    >
    > I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >
    > I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    > Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.
    >
    > I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
    > isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.
    >
    >
    > Thanks.
    >


    This is easy!

    1) Start Tomcat
    2) Open a browser (preferably Internet Explorer 5.5 but older versions
    will do)
    3) Enter onto the address bar: http://localhost:8080
    4) Salute the cat named Tom
    5) Look in your browser menu under File => Import from Word
     
    Silvio, Dec 4, 2012
    #14
  15. Philthy

    Lew Guest

    Philthy wrote:
    > Lew said:
    >> Philthy wrote:
    >>> Arne Vajh�j said:
    >>>> Philthy wrote:
    >>>>> I just installed Tomcat on my computer.
    >>>>> I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
    >>>>> Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

    >
    >> Try READING THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PRODUCT.

    >
    > This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
    > can't find the section about importing from Word.


    The instructions are not incomplete.

    There's a very, very good reason why there are no such instructions.

    "Importing" into what, do you imagine?

    >>>>> I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it

    >
    >> You use a product completely incorrectly, without any understanding of what it
    >> is, without any reference to its documentation, for a task for which it
    >> is not designed,
    >> and you blame the /product/?
    >> Look up "hubris" in the dictionary. It applies to your approach.

    >
    >>>>> isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

    >
    >> Well, duh.

    >
    > All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.


    Wow, really? You know what Tomcat's menu is, brain trust? It's the
    browser menu. Where does the browser say, "Import from Word", huh, genius?

    You happen to be mistaken about Tomcat - it doesn't have a menu. As you
    would know had you read the instructions, which clearly you did not.

    >>>> Do you know what Tomcat is?

    >
    >>>> I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
    >>>> copy paste from Word to a servlet container.

    >
    >>> I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.

    >
    >> And you didn't bother to read anything, try to understand anything, follow
    >> any instructions, or even get the most minimal idea of what Tomcat is.

    >
    > The person who advised to use Tomcat works in computers and knows a
    > real lot about Javascript and CSS. I trust his advice more than your
    > opinion.


    You are wrong.

    My statements are not opinion. Tomcat does not do what you are trying to do..

    >>> So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the

    >
    >> Too bad for you.

    >
    > I don't understand why you are being dismissive. I simply asked for
    > help thinking that there were people in this chat room who might know
    > something about Tomcat. It is pretty obvious that nobody here knows the
    > answer.


    We do know the answer. We've told you the answer. You refuse to accept the answers.

    Tomcat does not "import from Word", or any other product. It's an application server.

    I am being dismissive because you are disregarding the information we're giving you,
    you haven't read the instructions, you have no clue what Tomcat even is or you'd know
    it doesn't do what you're asking for, and you are doing absolutely nothing to educate yourself.
    Instead you are arguing with the facts and copping an attitude.

    Fooey on you.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Dec 4, 2012
    #15
  16. Philthy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/4/2012 11:04 AM, Joerg Meier wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:17:09 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >
    >> On 12/4/2012 9:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
    >> [...]

    >
    > Why do you continue to feed this obvious troll ? Just ignore it until it
    > goes away. If you feed it too much, it will start coming back here for
    > more.


    I don't know why this person post like this.

    I think it may be a troll.

    But I like to act based on what I know not what I think
    may be.

    If you know something please tell us.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 5, 2012
    #16
  17. Philthy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/4/2012 10:53 AM, markspace wrote:
    > On 12/4/2012 6:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
    >>
    >> This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
    >> can't find the section about importing from Word.

    >
    > I'm still 99% sure this is a troll. No one is this dumb. However:
    > there's no section about importing from Word because Tomcat doesn't do
    > that. It uses its own format, and doesn't read any Microsoft ones.


    Yep.

    >> All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.

    >
    > Tomcat isn't an app. It's a server, and a deamon. Look those words up.


    It is a server that can be run as a daemon. It can also be run as
    a console app.

    And unless one use a very strict separation between applications and
    system/infrastructure software then it is also an application itself -
    a Java application.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 5, 2012
    #17
  18. Philthy

    markspace Guest

    On 12/4/2012 6:20 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > On 12/4/2012 10:53 AM, markspace wrote:
    >> Tomcat isn't an app. It's a server, and a deamon. Look those words up.


    >
    > It is a server that can be run as a daemon. It can also be run as
    > a console app.


    Huh, is "console app" different from a server/daemon? I'm just
    wondering because I wasn't aware Tomcat had any other operating modes
    besides "daemon."

    >
    > And unless one use a very strict separation between applications and
    > system/infrastructure software then it is also an application itself -
    > a Java application.


    Yes, by "app" I assumed the OP meant desktop application or web app
    (application). Generic applications are "programs" to me, unless
    they're specifically something else (daemon, kernel module, desktop app,
    library, etc.)
     
    markspace, Dec 5, 2012
    #18
  19. Philthy

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 21:11:38 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > On 12/4/2012 11:04 AM, Joerg Meier wrote:
    >> On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:17:09 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> On 12/4/2012 9:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
    >>> [...]

    >> Why do you continue to feed this obvious troll ? Just ignore it until it
    >> goes away. If you feed it too much, it will start coming back here for
    >> more.

    > I don't know why this person post like this.


    > I think it may be a troll.


    > But I like to act based on what I know not what I think
    > may be.


    > If you know something please tell us.


    Honestly, I don't even know how to respond to that. This is the most
    obvious troll in every single way, it's probably the most obvious one I've
    ever seen. I'm baffled by the fact that everyone in this newsgroup is
    falling for it as if nobody ever trolled here before.

    But hey, you go help him find the Tomcat menu entry to import Word data
    into his defective copy of Tomcat. Maybe if you try real hard, he will
    eventually believe that people in this chat room are as gifted as his CSS
    expert friend.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    --
    Ich lese meine Emails nicht, replies to Email bleiben also leider
    ungelesen.
     
    Joerg Meier, Dec 5, 2012
    #19
  20. Philthy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/4/2012 11:03 PM, markspace wrote:
    > On 12/4/2012 6:20 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 12/4/2012 10:53 AM, markspace wrote:
    >>> Tomcat isn't an app. It's a server, and a deamon. Look those words up.

    >>
    >> It is a server that can be run as a daemon. It can also be run as
    >> a console app.

    >
    > Huh, is "console app" different from a server/daemon? I'm just
    > wondering because I wasn't aware Tomcat had any other operating modes
    > besides "daemon."


    The code is no different, but the way you interact with it
    is different.

    Windows:

    daemon => run as windows service, you stop and start via service manager

    console app => run in CMS window, you start by running bat file and stop
    with CTRL/C

    *nix:

    daemon => run in background, you stop and start via the scripts
    in init.d (or use one the GUI tools on top of that)

    console app => run in xterm, you start by running sh file and
    stop with CTRL/C

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 5, 2012
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. %=zerointeractive.it%

    [TOMCAT] Tomcat crashes

    %=zerointeractive.it%, Jan 22, 2004, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    420
    Erwin Moller
    Jan 22, 2004
  2. Christos Gravvanis
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,050
    Christos Gravvanis
    Jul 7, 2004
  3. Rakesh Pandit
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    506
    Rakesh Pandit
    Jul 12, 2005
  4. Marcin Cenkier
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    5,424
    Marcin Cenkier
    Apr 12, 2006
  5. Andi
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,334
Loading...

Share This Page