Tomcat problem

Philthy

Hi Newsgroup!

I just installed Tomcat on my computer.

I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

Thanks.

Arne Vajhøj

I just installed Tomcat on my computer.

I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

Do you know what Tomcat is?

I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
copy paste from Word to a servlet container.

Arne

Philthy

Do you know what Tomcat is?

I can not really see what you expect to be able to do by
copy paste from Word to a servlet container.

Arne

Thanks for your help!

I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.
So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the
web. I think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I
installed it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a
menu for Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to
have had the problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only
defective copy.

Andreas Leitgeb

Philthy said:
I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.
So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the
web. I think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I
installed it, I can't find an Edit menu for it.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for the fish, but nevertheless here it is:
,
<°((((><
`

markspace

I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web. So
I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the web. I
think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I installed
it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a menu for
Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to have had the
problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only defective copy.

I'm sure you're trolling us, but whatever. Here's the instructions you
didn't read:

<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/deployer-howto.html>

Arne Vajhøj

I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web. So
I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the web. I
think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I installed
it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a menu for
Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to have had the
problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only defective copy.

Tomcat can run a Java web application.

Java web application is Java code (and JSP etc.).

You do not write a Java web application in Word (I hope!).

You are probably looking for a CMS which is a web app
where you just add information.

There are CMS'es that run on Tomcat.

Arne

Jan Burse

Philthy said:
Hi Newsgroup!

I just installed Tomcat on my computer.

I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

Thanks.

Since tomcat is a cat, you have to feed
it with sheba first. Otherwise it will
refuse to do anything for you.

Bye

sheba = Edit config/server.xml etc..

Lew

Philthy said:
Arne Vajhøj said:

Try READING THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PRODUCT.

You use a product completely incorrectly, without any understanding of whatit
is, without any reference to its documentation, for a task for which it is not designed,
and you blame the /product/?

Look up "hubris" in the dictionary. It applies to your approach.

Well, duh.
I was told that the Tomcat app allows you to publish data to the web.

And you didn't bother to read anything, try to understand anything, follow
any instructions, or even get the most minimal idea of what Tomcat is.
So I want to paste a Word document into Tomcat to publish it on the

Too bad for you.
web. I think the Tomcat application is defective because even after I

Wow. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ.

PEBKAC
installed it, I can't find an Edit menu for it. There is not even a
menu for Import from Word. Google is of no use, no one else seems to
have had the problem I am seeing, surely my Tomcat is not the only
defective copy.

"Your" Tomcat is not defective.

Learn first. Whine second. Don't blame others for your ineptitude, dude.

Philthy

Try READING THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PRODUCT.

This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
can't find the section about importing from Word.
You use a product completely incorrectly, without any understanding of what it
is, without any reference to its documentation, for a task for which it
isnot designed,
and you blame the /product/?

Look up "hubris" in the dictionary. It applies to your approach.

Well, duh.

All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.
And you didn't bother to read anything, try to understand anything, follow
any instructions, or even get the most minimal idea of what Tomcat is.

The person who advised to use Tomcat works in computers and knows a
real lot about Javascript and CSS. I trust his advice more than your
opinion.
Too bad for you.

I don't understand why you are being dismissive. I simply asked for
help thinking that there were people in this chat room who might know
something about Tomcat. It is pretty obvious that nobody here knows the
answer.

Daniele Futtorovic

Hi Newsgroup!

I just installed Tomcat on my computer.

I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

ROFL! Excellent.

Arne Vajhøj

This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
can't find the section about importing from Word.

I am sure your cars owners manual does not specify how to
make lasagne.

That does not mean that your cars owners manual is incomplete.
All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.

It would surprise me if people with Dawns Syndrome think so,
but I can not rule out the possibility.

What I do know is that people with a certain level of IT expertise
knows that not all applications has menus.
The person who advised to use Tomcat works in computers and knows a real
lot about Javascript and CSS. I trust his advice more than your opinion.

Knowledge about JavaScript and CSS does not imply knowledge about
Tomcat.

Arne

markspace

This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
can't find the section about importing from Word.

I'm still 99% sure this is a troll. No one is this dumb. However:
there's no section about importing from Word because Tomcat doesn't do
that. It uses its own format, and doesn't read any Microsoft ones.
All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.

Tomcat isn't an app. It's a server, and a deamon. Look those words up.

I don't understand why you are being dismissive.

Seriously, at your level of apparent expertise, you have no hope of
getting Tomcat running correctly. I think your friend who recommended
it was having some fun at your expense.

Joerg Meier

On 12/4/2012 9:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
[...]

Why do you continue to feed this obvious troll ? Just ignore it until it
goes away. If you feed it too much, it will start coming back here for
more.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

Silvio

Hi Newsgroup!

I just installed Tomcat on my computer.

I want to copy information from Microsoft Word and paste it into
Tomcat. I can't seem to do this because I can't find the Edit menu.

I am thinking there is something wrong with the Tomcat app because it
isn't in the start menu and there are no menus.

Thanks.

This is easy!

1) Start Tomcat
2) Open a browser (preferably Internet Explorer 5.5 but older versions
will do)
3) Enter onto the address bar: http://localhost:8080
4) Salute the cat named Tom
5) Look in your browser menu under File => Import from Word

Lew

Philthy said:
Lew said:

This is the problem. The instructions seem to be incomplete because I
can't find the section about importing from Word.

The instructions are not incomplete.

There's a very, very good reason why there are no such instructions.

"Importing" into what, do you imagine?
All apps have menus. Even a mongoloid knows that.

Wow, really? You know what Tomcat's menu is, brain trust? It's the
browser menu. Where does the browser say, "Import from Word", huh, genius?

You happen to be mistaken about Tomcat - it doesn't have a menu. As you
would know had you read the instructions, which clearly you did not.
The person who advised to use Tomcat works in computers and knows a
real lot about Javascript and CSS. I trust his advice more than your
opinion.

You are wrong.

My statements are not opinion. Tomcat does not do what you are trying to do..
I don't understand why you are being dismissive. I simply asked for
help thinking that there were people in this chat room who might know
something about Tomcat. It is pretty obvious that nobody here knows the
answer.

We do know the answer. We've told you the answer. You refuse to accept the answers.

Tomcat does not "import from Word", or any other product. It's an application server.

I am being dismissive because you are disregarding the information we're giving you,
you haven't read the instructions, you have no clue what Tomcat even is or you'd know
it doesn't do what you're asking for, and you are doing absolutely nothing to educate yourself.
Instead you are arguing with the facts and copping an attitude.

Fooey on you.

Arne Vajhøj

On 12/4/2012 9:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
[...]

Why do you continue to feed this obvious troll ? Just ignore it until it
goes away. If you feed it too much, it will start coming back here for
more.

I don't know why this person post like this.

I think it may be a troll.

But I like to act based on what I know not what I think
may be.

If you know something please tell us.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I'm still 99% sure this is a troll. No one is this dumb. However:
there's no section about importing from Word because Tomcat doesn't do
that. It uses its own format, and doesn't read any Microsoft ones.
Yep.

Tomcat isn't an app. It's a server, and a deamon. Look those words up.

It is a server that can be run as a daemon. It can also be run as
a console app.

And unless one use a very strict separation between applications and
system/infrastructure software then it is also an application itself -
a Java application.

Arne

markspace

It is a server that can be run as a daemon. It can also be run as
a console app.

Huh, is "console app" different from a server/daemon? I'm just
wondering because I wasn't aware Tomcat had any other operating modes
besides "daemon."
And unless one use a very strict separation between applications and
system/infrastructure software then it is also an application itself -
a Java application.

Yes, by "app" I assumed the OP meant desktop application or web app
(application). Generic applications are "programs" to me, unless
they're specifically something else (daemon, kernel module, desktop app,
library, etc.)

Joerg Meier

On 12/4/2012 9:22 AM, Philthy wrote:
[...]
Why do you continue to feed this obvious troll ? Just ignore it until it
goes away. If you feed it too much, it will start coming back here for
more.
I don't know why this person post like this.
I think it may be a troll.
But I like to act based on what I know not what I think
may be.
If you know something please tell us.

Honestly, I don't even know how to respond to that. This is the most
obvious troll in every single way, it's probably the most obvious one I've
ever seen. I'm baffled by the fact that everyone in this newsgroup is
falling for it as if nobody ever trolled here before.

But hey, you go help him find the Tomcat menu entry to import Word data
into his defective copy of Tomcat. Maybe if you try real hard, he will
eventually believe that people in this chat room are as gifted as his CSS
expert friend.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

Arne Vajhøj

Huh, is "console app" different from a server/daemon? I'm just
wondering because I wasn't aware Tomcat had any other operating modes
besides "daemon."

The code is no different, but the way you interact with it
is different.

Windows:

daemon => run as windows service, you stop and start via service manager

console app => run in CMS window, you start by running bat file and stop
with CTRL/C

*nix:

daemon => run in background, you stop and start via the scripts
in init.d (or use one the GUI tools on top of that)

console app => run in xterm, you start by running sh file and
stop with CTRL/C

Arne