TomCat/Realm : hot switch between connectionURL and alternateURL ?

markus-ecker

When I configure a Realm in TomCat (actually: TomCat 4.1.30), I can
configure a "connectionURL" and an "alternateURL" like this:

<Realm ...
connectionURL="ldap://ldap.server1.de"
alternateURL="ldap://ldap.server2.de"
... />

I could successfully test, that server2 is used, if server1 is not
available at the time, when TomCat starts up. But I was not able to see
that the realm switches t server2 if the network connection to server1
breaks while TomCat is running.

Can anyone tell, how the Realm behaves in such a case. Does it do a
"hot switch" to the alternative server? And how long does this take? Is
there a way to configure this?

Thank you for any help - even pointing to documentation I haven't found
yet (the standard documentation is not clear about this part).