Tomcat Resilience

pcarr01

I am architecting an infrastructure configuration system that services
a number of different endpoints using SQL Server and tomcat hosting
Web Services delivering SOAP. it must be resilient, it will on
occasion be taking 120 hits per second so I have got two of these
things for resilience purposes.

my question is do I need to have 2 tomcats on each platform, I thought
I would have a network device acting as a VIP (virtual IP) pushing the
SOAP requests at an active Tomcat and the Tomcats would talk to each
other using JMX to establish if they were active and healthy and
decide who was boss. I dont want to have to sling apache in there and
do load balancing.

In principle I need to know if you guys out there have any experience
to say the Tomcat 6 might go missing if you hammer it.... and what
would be best practice.

Cheers