    would people here recommend in lieu of Tomcat (and what are the drawbacks
    compared to Tomcat) ?

    Thanks, Ike

    Ike, Sep 28, 2006

  2. No you don't need a registered DNS unless you want to host it on the
    web.

    You need a machine that can run tomcat. For localhost, you dont even
    need an internet connection. You access it via http://<IP or
    FQDN>:<port>

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Sep 29, 2006

  3. Ike

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <ALUSg.3876$>, Ike
    ('') wrote:

    > In order to run a Tomcat server to run servlets, I must have a registered
    > domain name.

    No you don't. You can use the IP address of the machine, or you can resolve
    a name to the IP address of the machine in your hosts file. What version
    of Tomcat, and what operating system?

    ;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
    ;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
    ;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
    ;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

    Simon Brooke, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Ike

    Ike Guest

    but I do want to host it on the web, behind apache -Ike

    Ike, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Tomcat 5.0.28 and Windows XP
    -Ike

    Ike, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Ike

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <qQbTg.7716$>, Ike
    ('') wrote:

    > Tomcat 5.0.28 and Windows XP

    I can't help you very much with Windows, but certainly older versions of
    Windows had a hosts file in \Windows\System or somewhere like that. It's a
    text file, where each line comprises an IP address followed by whitespace
    followed by a space-separated list of one or more names. The names in the
    list resolve to the address; simple as that.

    The address 127.0.0.1 is special; it is always a valid address for 'this
    machine' and conventionally the name 'localhost' resolves to 127.0.0.1; so
    even if your IP address is dynamically allocated by DHCP you can use
    127.0.0.1 (or 'localhost', or another name you've set up for 127.0.0.1 in
    your hosts file) for testing.

    ;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
    ;; doing it for money, stop now.
    ;; Rainer Deyke

    Simon Brooke, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Ike

    IchBin Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <qQbTg.7716$>, Ike
    > ('') wrote:
    >
    >> Tomcat 5.0.28 and Windows XP

    > I can't help you very much with Windows, but certainly older versions of
    > Windows had a hosts file in \Windows\System or somewhere like that. It's a
    > text file, where each line comprises an IP address followed by whitespace
    > followed by a space-separated list of one or more names. The names in the
    > list resolve to the address; simple as that.
    >
    > The address 127.0.0.1 is special; it is always a valid address for 'this
    > machine' and conventionally the name 'localhost' resolves to 127.0.0.1; so
    > even if your IP address is dynamically allocated by DHCP you can use
    > 127.0.0.1 (or 'localhost', or another name you've set up for 127.0.0.1 in
    > your hosts file) for testing.

    That host file on windows XP SP 2 resides here:

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\hosts

    --
    Thanks in Advance...

    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Sep 29, 2006
  8. Ike

    Mark Space Guest

    IchBin wrote:

    > That host file on windows XP SP 2 resides here:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\hosts

    But that won't help outside of his own system.

    To the OP: Where did you put the DNS entry for your domain? Who is
    doing DNS for you?

    Mark Space, Sep 30, 2006