    Can I access them without defining them in some configuration files?

    Many thanks,
    Magnus
    Magnus Warker, Jun 17, 2006

  2. Magnus Warker

    Marc E Guest

    this is mentioned in the 5.5 release notes. check out the readme file.

    now, it does tell you how to get your /servlets/ path back, but it also says
    that it's not supported in production. not sure what that means. try
    accessing your servlets without the /servlets/ in your path and see what
    happens.

    Marc E, Jun 18, 2006

  3. Magnus Warker

    Chris Smith Guest

    Marc E <> wrote:
    > now, it does tell you how to get your /servlets/ path back, but it also says
    > that it's not supported in production. not sure what that means.

    They are basically trying to get across the concept that it's a really,
    really bad idea to do things that way. We've had the web.xml file for
    quite a few years now, and it's time to move on. Explicit servlet
    mappings lead to better security situations, cleaner and less complex
    applications, and more flexibility. It escapes me why anyone would want
    a /servlets directory.

    --
    Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer / Technical Trainer
    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jun 18, 2006
  4. On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:23:46 +0200, Magnus Warker <> wrote:

    > Hello group,
    >
    > since I upgraded to Tomcat 5.5 I cannot access my servlets anymore.
    >
    > With Tomcat 4.1 I could access them with the followung URL:
    > http://localhost/myApp/servlets/myPackage.myServlet
    >
    > Are there relevant changes in the new Tomcat? How can I access my
    > servlets?
    > Can I access them without defining them in some configuration files?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Magnus

    That url is using the dreaded "invoker" servlet, source of any number
    of hard to figure out bugs - see

    http://faq.javaranch.com/view?InvokerServlet

    Just bite the bullet and learn to use web.xml - you will be glad you did.

    Bill
    William Brogden, Jun 18, 2006