Tomcat SQL emulation with flat file

myclues

Hey all,
Was wondering if there was an API or somethign for tomcat that woudl
allow me to simulate ahving a database using flat files. Sprite.pm is
a perl module that can read a flat text file of data and run SQL
commands on it. Is there something similar for Tomcat? I'm looking
into making the switch.

Much appreciated.

Daniel Rohe

Hey all,
Was wondering if there was an API or somethign for tomcat that woudl
allow me to simulate ahving a database using flat files. Sprite.pm is
a perl module that can read a flat text file of data and run SQL
commands on it. Is there something similar for Tomcat? I'm looking
into making the switch.

Much appreciated.

Look for HsqlDB, Apache Derby or search in google for "java embedded
database"

Greetings,
Daniel

Mark Space

Hey all,
Was wondering if there was an API or somethign for tomcat that woudl
allow me to simulate ahving a database using flat files. Sprite.pm is
a perl module that can read a flat text file of data and run SQL
commands on it. Is there something similar for Tomcat? I'm looking
into making the switch.

Much appreciated.

I'm just wondering why you would want such a thing. MySQL is free, easy
to install, handles large files well, and has a ton of uses with Tomcat,
such as maintaining a db of users and their passwords.

Lord Farquod

i work in a large corporation and the servers are
owned/administered/managed by another department that is reluctant to
give us direct access to the SQL databases. If they were to give us
access, this would all be moot, but in the mean time, one possible
workaround is to have them export their databases as flat files and use
this solution to parse/modify it.

IchBin

Lord said:
i work in a large corporation and the servers are
owned/administered/managed by another department that is reluctant to
give us direct access to the SQL databases. If they were to give us
access, this would all be moot, but in the mean time, one possible
workaround is to have them export their databases as flat files and use
this solution to parse/modify it.
I know that HSQL can work with a flat file as a database. HSQLDB is 100%
Java and has a real small footprint. Else they have a utility to upload
data into a HSQLDB database.

http://www.hsqldb.org

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Mark Space

Lord said:
i work in a large corporation and the servers are
owned/administered/managed by another department that is reluctant to
give us direct access to the SQL databases. If they were to give us
access, this would all be moot, but in the mean time, one possible
workaround is to have them export their databases as flat files and use
this solution to parse/modify it.

Of course, work politics supersedes everything else, but why not set up
your own DB on your own machine somewheres, then export from their DB to
yours on some sort of regular basis? This would seem to me to be much
easier than trying to manage flat files...

Just a thought.

Lord Farquod

dunno. guess my boss has some reason for not wanting to set up a DB
here. probably the paperwork.