Tomcat ssl servlet to servlet, private CA

edavid3001

I have two machines I want to get to talk to each other.

Both are running Tomcat. Both are running servlets.

What does work:
The servlet on the source machine connects to port 80 http on my
Stunnel box, which encrypts the data, sends it to port 443 on the same
box. port 443 is another Stunnel. It decrypts and sends the data to
port 80 on the destination http Tomcat box.

That works fine.

Now I want to switch it to HTTPS from the servelt on the source machine
to the Stunnel box port 443, which will redirect to port 80 on the
destination http Tomcat box.

The error in STunnel is as shown;

SSL_accept: 14094416: error:14094416:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3
alert certificate unknown

One thing to mention is that I did not get the certificate from
Verisign or Thawte. It was generated in OpenSSL by myself. Also, the
Servlet connects to https://ipaddress of server not by the name
on the certificate.

Any suggestions? (I am not a Java programmer, but I have to get this
software working.)