Tomcat start problem

iherage

When I type in Linux console:

$/etc/init.d/tomcat5 start
I got the following message.

starting tomcat lock file found but on process running for pid 9968,
continuing
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:

And every time the process pid is different.

Why there is such a problem?
Does anyone know the solutions?

Thank you.

Gordon Beaton

When I type in Linux console:

$/etc/init.d/tomcat5 start
I got the following message.

starting tomcat lock file found but on process running for pid 9968,
continuing
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:

And every time the process pid is different.

Why there is such a problem?
Does anyone know the solutions?

What is the *real* problem? Is the service not working?

Of course the pid will be different almost every time you start the
service. And of course any lockfile left by a previous incarnation
will almost always contain a different pid.

Perhaps you are referring to the prior existence of the lockfile,
which seems to indicate that you failed to stop the service properly
last time. Had you done so, it most likely would have removed the
lockfile.

Does this have anything to do with Java progamming?

/gordon

Manish Pandit

When I type in Linux console:

$/etc/init.d/tomcat5 start
I got the following message.

starting tomcat lock file found but on process running for pid 9968,
continuing
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/share/tomcat5
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5/temp
Using JRE_HOME:

And every time the process pid is different.

Why there is such a problem?
Does anyone know the solutions?

Thank you.

Why are you running tomcat from /etc/init.d ? Looks like the process
has started already by init during Linux startup, and hence the lock
file. Can you do a ps -eaf | grep 'java' and see if you already see a
running tomcat? If you do, log in as root and do a kill -9 <pid>, where
<pid> will be the process ID you see by running ps. Then you should be
able to start tomcat.

-cheers,
Manish

Lars Enderin

Manish Pandit skrev:
Why are you running tomcat from /etc/init.d ? Looks like the process
has started already by init during Linux startup, and hence the lock
file. Can you do a ps -eaf | grep 'java' and see if you already see a
running tomcat? If you do, log in as root and do a kill -9 <pid>, where
<pid> will be the process ID you see by running ps. Then you should be
able to start tomcat.
Why not simply restart instead of start? Or stop followed by start?
And -9 should not be necessary, either.

Nigel Wade

Manish said:
Why are you running tomcat from /etc/init.d ?

Probably because that is the correct way to start it?
It is most likely the correct way to stop and restart it also.
Looks like the process
has started already by init during Linux startup, and hence the lock
file. Can you do a ps -eaf | grep 'java' and see if you already see a
running tomcat? If you do, log in as root and do a kill -9 <pid>, where
<pid> will be the process ID you see by running ps.

Using kill to abort tomcat rather than using the init script is exactly the
reason why the lock files get left hanging around in the first place. If there
is an init script provided to handle the daemon startup/shutdown procedure then
use it.
Then you should be
able to start tomcat.

The lock file will still be there, and maybe a whole host of other things, which
the proper shutdown procedure would clean up.

iherage

Thank you for all the replies.

Finally, I download Tomcat 6, the latest version. Now I do not have
that kind of problems any longer.

Actually it was my friend who install tomcat 5 and tried to start it.

I do not know whether it was a common problem with Tomcat 5. But with
tomcat 6 everything seems fine.

PS when you want use java servlet, it seems that you have to installed
tomcat. So I think it is related to Java Programming. And there is a
installation guild for tomcat in Windows in the famous book JAVA HOW
TO PROGRAM(6e).