Tomcat startup script: BASE_DIR not set

bruce_phipps

I have just installed Tomcat on my Linux 2.4 computer.
The install seemed to go OK and $CATALINA_HOME and $JAVA_HOME variables
are set OK.

But when I try to start up Tomcat using the shell script in the
$CATALINA_HOME/bin directory, I get an error BASE_DIR not set.

The startup script calls setclasspath.sh
setclasspath.sh mentions BASE_DIR
But BASE_DIR is not mentioned in the accompanying docs for Tomcat.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Bruce