Tomcat - symbolic link for WEB-INF/classes directory not working

Discussion in 'Java' started by Matthew Macchia, Apr 8, 2004.

  1. I am having trouble using a symbolic link (ln -s) to map my tomcat
    application to read a different classes directory.

    Here is how it's setup
    Tomcat is installed at
    /opt/tomcat/

    my application(context) is at
    /http/myapplication/

    and I have a symbolic link for
    /http/myapplication/WEB-INF/classes
    /http/differentApp/servlets/

    However, I am getting a ClassNotFoundException when I use the symbolic
    link.
    If I actually copy over the contents of /http/differentApp/servlets/
    to a classes/ under WEB-INF then it can find them. Im not sure what
    the problem is. I know the permissions are correct so I don't think
    that is the issue.
    Has anyone had this problem in the past?
    I may have to jar the contents of my other directory and move it over
    unless I find a solution.
    Thanks for your help!
    -matt

    Matthew Macchia, Apr 8, 2004

  2. Matthew Macchia

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 7 Apr 2004 17:01:02 -0700, (Matthew
    Macchia) wrote or quoted :

    >However, I am getting a ClassNotFoundException when I use the symbolic
    >link.
    >If I actually copy over the contents of /http/differentApp/servlets/
    >to a classes/ under WEB-INF then it can find them.

    when you do a dir on your symbolic link, do you see the classes?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Roedy Green <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 7 Apr 2004 17:01:02 -0700, (Matthew
    > Macchia) wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >However, I am getting a ClassNotFoundException when I use the symbolic
    > >link.
    > >If I actually copy over the contents of /http/differentApp/servlets/
    > >to a classes/ under WEB-INF then it can find them.

    > when you do a dir on your symbolic link, do you see the classes?

    yes,
    when I cd down the directory tree it looks like this:
    /http/myapplication/WEB-INF/classes/com/company/struts/MyClass.class

    The file is there and the directory structure is intact and correct.

    Matthew Macchia, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Matthew Macchia

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 8 Apr 2004 08:26:09 -0700, (Matthew
    Macchia) wrote or quoted :

    >yes,
    >when I cd down the directory tree it looks like this:
    >/http/myapplication/WEB-INF/classes/com/company/struts/MyClass.class

    Is there a parameter anywhere in the config that says whether to chase
    symbolic links?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 13, 2004