  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    has anyone used both of these? anyone have opinions of how they compare?
    Ryan, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Ryan

    SMC Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:45:19 +1100, Ryan wrote:

    > has anyone used both of these? anyone have opinions of how they compare?

    Resin made great claims to *much* better performance, however I compared
    our rather big JSP based site running on both (on the same hardware) and
    could barely tell the difference. We stuck with Tomcat (4.1) since its
    performance was comparable, and it's open source and free (as in beer).

    --
    Sean

    "I love deadlines. I love the sound they make as they Whoosh by" -
    Douglas Adams
    SMC, Nov 10, 2004

  3. Ryan

    hiwa Guest

    "Ryan" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > has anyone used both of these? anyone have opinions of how they compare?

    1)For different encodings handling, Resin is smart and Tomcat is
    inflexible. Tomcat is good if everything is UTF-8.

    2)For servlets and related classes, you store only source files on
    Resin. Compile/recompile is done automatically. Quite handy.

    3)Resin can be used as a stand-alone full server. Tomcat usually needs
    Apache.

    4)Resin mailing-list is adequate in its traffic. Tomcat is quite
    overwhelming and your post does not always get good answer. Too many
    newbies there!

    5)If you are a paid customer of Resin, you can get full support from
    Resin tech staff. License fee is cheap.

    6)Resin dev lead Scott is a nice guy and very knowledgeable about Web
    app technology in general. You can get good answers from him on their
    mailing-list.

    7)Resin configuration and deployment is much simpler than Tomcat.
    Tomcat is unclear about the root responsibility of dev staff. Their
    file set is quite messy.
    hiwa, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Ryan

    Oscar kind Guest

    hiwa <> wrote:
    > "Ryan" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> has anyone used both of these? anyone have opinions of how they compare?

    > 2)For servlets and related classes, you store only source files on
    > Resin. Compile/recompile is done automatically. Quite handy.

    For online development this is perfect. Personally however, I prefer to
    build .war files and deploy those. Your preference in this should
    influence your choice.

    > 3)Resin can be used as a stand-alone full server. Tomcat usually needs
    > Apache.

    I disagree with that: Tomcat can perfectly act as a web server. It's just
    a tad slower though (merely moderately fast instead of extremely fast).
    But without apache it's also much easier to configure (i.e. it runs out of
    the box).

    > 5)If you are a paid customer of Resin, you can get full support from
    > Resin tech staff. License fee is cheap.

    For companies, this is a good plus.

    > 7)Resin configuration and deployment is much simpler than Tomcat.
    > Tomcat is unclear about the root responsibility of dev staff. Their
    > file set is quite messy.

    IMHO, only the configuration part of this is relevant. And in that regard:
    - Resin allows you to specify the authenticator for your web application
    in web.xml. Ditto for the DataSource.
    - Tomcat needs a separate configuration file next to the .war file here.

    In this regards, I consider Resin to be better.

    And then there is remote deployment (say on an acceptance test server) and
    administration (say stopping a web application without removing it):
    - Tomcat supports this very well, albeit in a simple way.
    - Resin doesn't support this. Remote deployment must be done through
    another system (SSH for example), and temporarily disabling a web
    application is not possible at all without changing the configuration.

    In this regards, I consider Tomcat to be better.

    --
    Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/

    Oscar kind, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Ryan

    Sudsy Guest

    hiwa wrote:
    <snip>
    > 3)Resin can be used as a stand-alone full server. Tomcat usually needs
    > Apache.

    False. Both can be used as stand-alone servers. You get better performance
    when you front-end with an HTTP server optimized for serving static content.
    Six of one, half-dozen of the other...

    > 5)If you are a paid customer of Resin, you can get full support from
    > Resin tech staff. License fee is cheap.

    Compared to free?

    > 7)Resin configuration and deployment is much simpler than Tomcat.
    > Tomcat is unclear about the root responsibility of dev staff. Their
    > file set is quite messy.

    I have to disagree with you here: I found Resin to be much more
    problematic to deploy than Tomcat. There's also more public-domain
    documentation available for Tomcat. Your prior answer suggests
    that you're at the mercy of the vendor for support. Do you really
    want to be in that situation?

    As an aside, could you clarify your relationship with Caucho? Your
    mention of some familiarity with Scott could imply bias.

    Sudsy, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Ryan

    hiwa Guest

    Sudsy <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > As an aside, could you clarify your relationship with Caucho? Your
    > mention of some familiarity with Scott could imply bias.

    I don't have any last bit of affiliation with caucho.com and my
    opinion never implies bias or something. My opinion is only based on
    my own experience with both servers for about four years.
    hiwa, Nov 11, 2004