Tomcat with Filters & XML HTTP

ed.stark

I have spent a few hours now debugging an issue I found whilst using
Tomcat 5.5.17 with JCIFS filter applied for NTLM authentication.

The problem i was facing was with XMLHttpRequests to the server, the
rest of the application was working fine.

After some investigation, i have found that when using Tomcat filters,
you nee to be carefull of the way you make XMLHttpRequests.

The following implemenattion will Fail:

xmlhttp.open("GET",url,false)
xmlhttp.send(params)

The following will work:

xmlhttp.open("GET",url+"?"+params,false)
xmlhttp.send()

When using filters in Tomcat, the xmlhttp.send(params) fails, resulting
in your request missing any required parameters for processing at the
back end.

Without filters, this approach works fine.

As i said, spent a few hours debugging this and hope someone else will
find this a usefull post and save them a few hours.