Tomcat won't start on Windows 2000 server

Mike Ward

Downloaded and installed version 5.5 of Tomcat. Go to the bin
directory and type Tomcat5. It runs for a momment (like 3 seconds) and
then just exits. No error messages, and nothing in the logs to
indicate a problem. If I run Apache in a console window (using port
8080 like Tomcat), Apache works fine. So why won't Tomcat run? (I'm
not running Apache when I run Tomcat, IIS is not monitoring port
8080).

-- mike

DoTheRoot

Downloaded and installed version 5.5 of Tomcat. Go to the bin
directory and type Tomcat5. It runs for a momment (like 3 seconds) and
then just exits. No error messages, and nothing in the logs to
indicate a problem. If I run Apache in a console window (using port
8080 like Tomcat), Apache works fine. So why won't Tomcat run? (I'm
not running Apache when I run Tomcat, IIS is not monitoring port
8080).

-- mike

Which JDK version are you using ?... did you set the environment
variable CATALINA_HOME ? did you check the logs ..

need more info ....

Douwe Vos

Liz

Mike Ward said:
Downloaded and installed version 5.5 of Tomcat. Go to the bin
directory and type Tomcat5. It runs for a momment (like 3 seconds) and
then just exits. No error messages, and nothing in the logs to
indicate a problem. If I run Apache in a console window (using port
8080 like Tomcat), Apache works fine. So why won't Tomcat run? (I'm
not running Apache when I run Tomcat, IIS is not monitoring port
8080).

-- mike

My distro has startup.bat and shutdown.bat, did you try these?

Mike Ward

The distro (tomcat 5.5) does not have a startup.bat or shutdown.bat.
As stated earlier, there is no info in the logs. Also, I'm runing Java
1.4.2_05.

Will Hartung

Mike Ward said:
The distro (tomcat 5.5) does not have a startup.bat or shutdown.bat.
As stated earlier, there is no info in the logs. Also, I'm runing Java
1.4.2_05.

5.5 requires Java (1.)5, unless you reconfigure it.

Try the latest 5.0.

Regards,

Will Hartung
([email protected])