Tomcat won't start

Baba

Hi.

I have just received a nasty shock while working on my project. Tomcat won't
start any more!! I type startup.bat, the little windows opens and then a few
seconds after closes. No errors, no warnings, no nothing. I even checked the
logs, they don't show anything.

In the Task Manager I can see javaw.exe starting, getting some memory and
then disappearing without trace.

I tried rebooting but to no awail.

Help?

Daniel Dyer

Hi.

I have just received a nasty shock while working on my project. Tomcat
won't
start any more!! I type startup.bat, the little windows opens and then a
few
seconds after closes. No errors, no warnings, no nothing. I even checked
the
logs, they don't show anything.

If you run it so that it doesn't start in a separate window you will be
able to see the last message output before it dies. Try "tomcat run" from
the command prompt, this will run Tomcat in the current window, allowing
you to read the output when it dies.

Dan.

winbatch

Take the command string that is stored in the shortcut and run it from a dos
window. See what the output is. Any chance you changed your java version
or path or anything?

William Brogden

Baba said:
Hi.

I have just received a nasty shock while working on my project. Tomcat won't
start any more!! I type startup.bat, the little windows opens and then a few
seconds after closes. No errors, no warnings, no nothing. I even checked the
logs, they don't show anything.

In the Task Manager I can see javaw.exe starting, getting some memory and
then disappearing without trace.

I tried rebooting but to no awail.

Help?

I like to change the last line in startup.bat from
call "%EXECUTABLE%" start %CMD_LINE_ARGS%
to:
call "%EXECUTABLE%" run %CMD_LINE_ARGS%
so it will run in the already open window.

Also, rem out the @echo off statements in the bat files to see more msg

Baba

Actually, it was some kind of virus (a worm to be more precise) that did
it.

An hour later it screwed up all of the executables (actually, EXE file
associations). I cleaned the virus up and used WinXP Tweak Utility to repair
the file associations, but Tomcat still starts and stops without a trace.

I think a complete reinstall of Java is in order. Maybe Windows, too. Sniff.