    then disappearing without trace.

    I tried rebooting but to no awail.

    Help?
    Baba, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Baba

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:23:22 +0200, Baba <> wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I have just received a nasty shock while working on my project. Tomcat
    > won't
    > start any more!! I type startup.bat, the little windows opens and then a
    > few
    > seconds after closes. No errors, no warnings, no nothing. I even checked
    > the
    > logs, they don't show anything.

    If you run it so that it doesn't start in a separate window you will be
    able to see the last message output before it dies. Try "tomcat run" from
    the command prompt, this will run Tomcat in the current window, allowing
    you to read the output when it dies.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    Empathy Software (http://www.empathysoftware.com)

    Daniel Dyer, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Baba

    winbatch Guest

    Take the command string that is stored in the shortcut and run it from a dos
    window. See what the output is. Any chance you changed your java version
    or path or anything?

    winbatch, Sep 2, 2003
  4. "Baba" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have just received a nasty shock while working on my project. Tomcat

    won't
    > start any more!! I type startup.bat, the little windows opens and then a

    few
    > seconds after closes. No errors, no warnings, no nothing. I even checked

    the
    > logs, they don't show anything.
    >
    > In the Task Manager I can see javaw.exe starting, getting some memory and
    > then disappearing without trace.
    >
    > I tried rebooting but to no awail.
    >
    > Help?

    I like to change the last line in startup.bat from
    call "%EXECUTABLE%" start %CMD_LINE_ARGS%
    to:
    call "%EXECUTABLE%" run %CMD_LINE_ARGS%
    so it will run in the already open window.

    Also, rem out the @echo off statements in the bat files to see more msg
    William Brogden, Sep 2, 2003
  5. Baba

    Baba Guest

    Actually, it was some kind of virus (a worm to be more precise) that did
    it.

    An hour later it screwed up all of the executables (actually, EXE file
    associations). I cleaned the virus up and used WinXP Tweak Utility to repair
    the file associations, but Tomcat still starts and stops without a trace.

    I think a complete reinstall of Java is in order. Maybe Windows, too. Sniff.
    Baba, Sep 3, 2003