Tomcat4 RMI class loading bermuda triangle

Discussion in 'Java' started by henri, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. henri

    henri Guest

    Hi every body,
    I'm trying to fix this problem for one week and i'm turning crazy
    right now.
    I have this servlet working perfectly, finding every package i put in
    /var/tomcat4/shared/lib except that it doesn't find my RMIServer class
    for casting
    i get a
    [java.lang.ClassNotFoundException] - myRMIServerClass
    org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
    Source)
    org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
    Source)
    java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
    java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
    java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:141)

    all classes are in the jar with the stub and skeleton (i tried to put
    classes in WEB_INF/classes of my servlet but same problem... so i
    guess this is not the real problem)

    I have set in catalina policy file a:
    grant {
    permission java.security.AllPermission;
    };
    to be sure there's no problem of security. i changed the
    init.d/tomcat4 script to add -security to the starting line to be sure
    that it is started the right way

    i used to try the same code with tomcat 3 and i changed to tomcat 4
    because of a rmi jni problem reported on mailing lists (i spent so
    much time on tomcat4 that i can't remember what was the previous one)
    but i can't even get that far with tomcat4

    my version is a rpm 4.2.1 for Red Hat

    does someone understand what's going on

    henri, Jun 23, 2004

  2. henri

    Sudsy Guest

    henri wrote:
    <snip>
    > [java.lang.ClassNotFoundException] - myRMIServerClass

    This will either have everything or nothing to do with your problem.
    I note that the class name is not package-qualified. This would
    suggest that it's in the default package. Without seeing the source
    for the class and the output of 'jar tf <jarfile>' then it's
    impossible to say further. It should be noted that class naming
    problems are frequently encountered by people new to Java.

    Sudsy, Jun 23, 2004