too much text in textarea, submit does nothing with "get" how to use "post"

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Pete Mahoney, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Pete Mahoney

    Pete Mahoney Guest

    Ok I use a textarea to store data input by the user, and then upon
    them clicking the submit button I store this data to a database. The
    problem is once the user inputs too much data (about 3 paragraphs or
    2020 characters) when they click on the submit button nothing happens.
    When I say nothing happens I mean just that, nothing at all happens
    the page just sits there as if nothing at all happened. If I remove
    one line for the textarea, and then press the submit button everything
    works fine.

    Now I read that a way to fix this problem is to use the following:

    <form name="form1" action="<%= Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
    %>" method="Get"> --> HERE REPLACE "Get" with "Post"

    Now this works great and the form will submit, but I can't later call
    Request.QueryString("ProbDescription") and get the data back. So my
    question is when I use this Post function how do I save off data, and
    get it back when I need it? Also how do I pass this data from one
    page to the next?

    If you have any idea on how I can fix this problem please let me know.
    I have posted the test code I used below, and if you run it and try
    and put more than 2500 characters in it nothing happens.

    <% @ LANGUAGE = VBScript %>
    <% Option Explicit %>
    <%

    %>

    <head>
    charset=windows-1252">
    <title>Welcome to FirstLogic DRC</title>

    </head>
    <Body>

    <form name="form1" action="<%= Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
    %>" method="Get">
    <H5><TEXTAREA name="ProbDescription" rows=4 cols=58 style="border: 1
    <input type="submit" value="Test" id=submit1 name=submit1>&nbsp;
    </form>
    <%
    Response.Write Request.QueryString("ProbDescription")
    %>

    Pete Mahoney, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Pete Mahoney

    Ray at Guest

    Use Request.Form instead of REquest.querystring.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Dec 15, 2003