    or by exclusion
    * Its result is a report listing any places where compatibility has been
    violated, e.g. where a method was added to an interface

    Mike Schilling, Mar 27, 2011

  2. Mike Schilling

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 27-03-2011 12:13, Mike Schilling wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a tool, preferably open source, for checking that
    > versions N and N+1 of a library are compatible? Ideally:
    >
    > * The tool is open source
    > * It allows specifying which classes are to be checked, either by
    > inclusion or by exclusion
    > * Its result is a report listing any places where compatibility has been
    > violated, e.g. where a method was added to an interface

    I assume that you mean a simple API support check and not a check
    against implementation problems in the library.

    No - I don't know of either, but it is two very different problems.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 27, 2011

  3. "Arne Vajhøj" <> wrote in message
    > On 27-03-2011 12:13, Mike Schilling wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a tool, preferably open source, for checking that
    >> versions N and N+1 of a library are compatible? Ideally:
    >>
    >> * The tool is open source
    >> * It allows specifying which classes are to be checked, either by
    >> inclusion or by exclusion
    >> * Its result is a report listing any places where compatibility has been
    >> violated, e.g. where a method was added to an interface

    > I assume that you mean a simple API support check and not a check
    > against implementation problems in the library.

    Yes. I don't see how to check the latter (run-time compatibility) other
    than a complete set of unit tests.

    Mike Schilling, Mar 27, 2011
  4. Mike Schilling

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 27-03-2011 12:38, Mike Schilling wrote:
    > "Arne Vajhøj" <> wrote in message
    >> On 27-03-2011 12:13, Mike Schilling wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a tool, preferably open source, for checking that
    >>> versions N and N+1 of a library are compatible? Ideally:
    >>>
    >>> * The tool is open source
    >>> * It allows specifying which classes are to be checked, either by
    >>> inclusion or by exclusion
    >>> * Its result is a report listing any places where compatibility has been
    >>> violated, e.g. where a method was added to an interface

    >> I assume that you mean a simple API support check and not a check
    >> against implementation problems in the library.

    > Yes. I don't see how to check the latter (run-time compatibility) other
    > than a complete set of unit tests.

    Exactly.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Mar 27, 2011