tool for graphical scematic design entry?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by streita, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. streita

    streita Guest

    Hi all,

    i'am now allmost 3 years in asic development was using visual elite
    from summit for design entry. the problem is that the database is
    binary and you are dependend on that tool. now im really interested in
    some graphical schemetic entry tool just for creating hirarchical block
    diagrams and with posibillity of interconnecting that blocks. Parallel
    i wish to have a window with the created framework source code that i
    can extend. If i add ports in the source window the graphical window
    should recognise that and add the port in the schematic.
    That feature forward and backward compatibility i.e. from source to
    graphic and visa versa i know from the software development tool
    "together". there you can create class diagramms graphically. parallel
    you have the source window and if you add methods or members the
    graphic will update imediatly.

    does any one know a standalone graphical entry tool that creates vhdl
    source coade and with a visa versa update functionality?

    Andreas
    streita, Sep 8, 2005

  2. streita wrote:

    > i'am now allmost 3 years in asic development was using visual elite
    > from summit for design entry. the problem is that the database is
    > binary and you are dependend on that tool.

    The only way to eliminate this problem is to
    use text as your source format.

    > now im really interested in
    > some graphical schemetic entry tool just for creating hirarchical block
    > diagrams and with posibillity of interconnecting that blocks. Parallel
    > i wish to have a window with the created framework source code that i
    > can extend.

    Emacs vhdl-mode provides port and compose operations
    that can automate the pasting and "wiring" up design
    blocks using only text.

    > If i add ports in the source window the graphical window
    > should recognise that and add the port in the schematic.

    Most synthesis programs can draw block diagrams
    from the finished code.

    > does any one know a standalone graphical entry tool that creates vhdl
    > source coade and with a visa versa update functionality?

    The graphical editors for VHDL that I have
    evaluated generate ugly code in one direction
    and are very fussy about the other direction.
    Consider editing text and letting the computer
    draw the diagrams.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Sep 9, 2005