    in XPath expressions.

    (As a side note, what other tools are useful with XML on Linux and what are
    those tools capabilities?)
    Scott Simpson, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Scott Simpson () wrote:
    : What is a good tool for running XPath queries on Linux? I have the O'Reilly
    : XPath book and I'm using XPath Visualizer on Windows and that seems to work
    : fine, but I'm looking for something on Linux.

    : I've tried Quanta. It seems to be able to run the xsltproc processor to do
    : XSLT transformations but it doesn't seem to cope with interactively typing
    : in XPath expressions.

    : (As a side note, what other tools are useful with XML on Linux and what are
    : those tools capabilities?)

    perl -- XML::XPath -- includes a utility program called 'xpath'

    It runs on linux, though I only have access to a windows version at the
    moment so I cut/paste from that

    C:\perl\site\lib\XML\XPath> xpath
    Usage:
    C:\perl\bin/xpath [filename] query

    If no filename is given, supply XML on STDIN.

    I think it has the same name when XML::XPath is installed on linux, you
    might need to put it in your path.

    It has an undocumented -p option, I think you type

    xpath -p filename query1 query2 query3 (...etc...)

    and that filters by query1, then reduces that using query2, etc.

    --

    This space not for rent.
    Malcolm Dew-Jones, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Scott Simpson

    Volkm@r Guest

    Scott Simpson wrote:
    > What is a good tool for running XPath queries on Linux? I have the O'Reilly
    > XPath book and I'm using XPath Visualizer on Windows and that seems to work
    > fine, but I'm looking for something on Linux.
    >
    > I've tried Quanta. It seems to be able to run the xsltproc processor to do
    > XSLT transformations but it doesn't seem to cope with interactively typing
    > in XPath expressions.
    >
    > (As a side note, what other tools are useful with XML on Linux and what are
    > those tools capabilities?)

    what about
    <http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/>

    --
    Volkm@r
    Volkm@r, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Scott Simpson wrote:

    > What is a good tool for running XPath queries on Linux? I have the O'Reilly
    > XPath book and I'm using XPath Visualizer on Windows and that seems to work
    > fine, but I'm looking for something on Linux.

    The author of XPath Visualizer for IE has also written one for the
    Mozilla browser which should then probably work with Mozilla on Linux too.

    > I've tried Quanta. It seems to be able to run the xsltproc processor to do
    > XSLT transformations but it doesn't seem to cope with interactively typing
    > in XPath expressions.

    jEdit is an editor that has an XML plugin that supports XPath and XSLT
    1.0. jEdit requires Java 1.4 I think which is availabe on Linux.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Scott Simpson

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Scott Simpson wrote:

    > What is a good tool for running XPath queries on Linux? I have the
    > O'Reilly XPath book and I'm using XPath Visualizer on Windows and that
    > seems to work fine, but I'm looking for something on Linux.
    >
    > I've tried Quanta. It seems to be able to run the xsltproc processor to do
    > XSLT transformations but it doesn't seem to cope with interactively typing
    > in XPath expressions.
    >
    > (As a side note, what other tools are useful with XML on Linux and what
    > are those tools capabilities?)

    xpathtester is good.

    ///Peter
    &;top"
    Peter Flynn, Apr 1, 2005
  6. > The author of XPath Visualizer for IE has also written one for the Mozilla
    > browser which should then probably work with Mozilla on Linux too.

    Thanks, Martin,

    Yes, although I have never used Linux, the XPath Visualizer should work with
    Mozilla (and Firefox) under Linux, as it does under Windows.

    Cheers,
    Dimitre Novatchev.
    Dimitre Novatchev, Apr 16, 2005
  7. > The author of XPath Visualizer for IE has also written one for the Mozilla

    Dimitre Novatchev, Apr 16, 2005