Tool Question

andre.norman

Hi Everyone,

Not a web developer so your input is greatly appreciated.

Most of the stuff I will be putting on the web will be text only...no
grapics, no audio,...just TEXT. So TEXT formatting is the key requirement
here.

Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor out there that will do all the
following.

1. Not generate piles of vendor specific HTML/css code (ie MS Word)
2. Will automatically apply font tags to key words in my document.
ie my work documents contain the key words SELECT, FROM, WHERE
.... (you guested SQL commands)
I would like all sql commands to automatically trigger a
font = blue HTML tag.
I dont want to have to manually put in the tags or select
every occurance of the above words and change their color to blue. This is
a key requirement.
If there is not editor out there that can accomplish this,
is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and apply
font tags to key words?
3. When I hit the enter key will not create a <P> tag...UNLESS I tell it
too!!! (least important feature...i mean non feature)

Thank you in advance for your expert opinion.

AJ

David Dorward

andre.norman said:
Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor out there that will do all the
following.

1. Not generate piles of vendor specific HTML/css code (ie MS Word)
Amaya

2. Will automatically apply font tags to key words in my document.
ie my work documents contain the key words SELECT, FROM,
WHERE
... (you guested SQL commands)
I would like all sql commands to automatically trigger a
font = blue HTML tag.

<code> e.g.:

rabbits='brown'; </code>

With a style sheet, perhaps:

code.sql { font-family: monospace; color: black; background-color: #ccc; }
code.sql code.keyword { color: #aaf; background-color: white; }
is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and
apply font tags to key words?

#!/usr/bin/perl
while (<STDIN>) {
$_ =~ s/(SELECT|FROM|WHERE)/<code class="keyword">\1<\/code>/g;
print $_;
}

Call with: perl myScript.pl < infile > outfile

Toby A Inkster

andre.norman said:
If there is not editor out there that can accomplish this,
is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and apply
font tags to key words?

Use this command:

sed -i 's#SELECT#<code class="sqlkeyword">SELECT<\/code>#g' file.html

To go through file.html and replace every occurance of 'SELECT' with
'<code class="sqlkeyword">SELECT</code>'.

The '-i' parameter DOES NOT mean 'case-insensitive', it means 'edit the
file inline' rather than dumping the result to STDOUT.

Then add this to your style sheet:

code.sqlkeyword {
color: blue;
background-color: inherit;
font-family: monospace;
font-weight: bold;

Whitecrest

brucie01 said:
you cant author html properly except by hand.

Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor and code the exact same way. Only
faster....

(it's a tool man)

Owen Jacobson

#!/usr/bin/perl
while (<STDIN>) {
$_ =~ s/(SELECT|FROM|WHERE)/<code class="keyword">\1<\/code>/g;
print $_;
}

Call with: perl myScript.pl < infile > outfile

Minor gotcha with this, that caught me up once: if you put the same
filename for both infile and outfile you will end up with an empty file
(under most shells). Reasons why best left to the imagination and the
docs for fopen(3).

Steve R.

Whitecrest wrote in message ...
Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor and code the exact same way.

There was this *free* download of a WYSIWYG editor mentioned on some of the
other HTML newsgroups a couple of day ago.

Considering it's free it's very good, *provided* you check the HTML as you go
along.

Here's the copied post below the line ...

Whitecrest

brucie01 said:
why go to the overhead of a WYSINWYG if you're going to use it to hand
code?

I don't, It is not either use the text editor or use the WYSIWYG
interface. You can use both depending on what I am doing.
<cough>bullshit</cough>

Bullshit for you maybe, not for me or millions of other users. Do you
get mad when someone drives a different car than you do, or when someone
uses a different saw than you do? It is a tool man. Different people
find different tools useful.

The tool does not produce a web site, the user does. FP, Dreamweaver
and Front page all create shitty code when in the hands of a shitty
coder. They all produce perfect accessible, validated code too.

brucie

Do you get mad when someone drives a different car than you do,

<kiddies look away>
yes! why do you think i drive a truck? i just run over the little
fuckers.
</kiddies look away>

Whitecrest

brucie01 said:
<kiddies look away>
yes! why do you think i drive a truck? i just run over the little
fuckers.
</kiddies look away>

You don't need a truck to do that....

Steve R.

Shorty wrote in message ...
is this just a scam front to collect email addresses?

(1) The program works well.

(2) On occasions when you *have* to give your email address it's easy to use
a *disposable* email address, such as Hotmail or Yahoo, just to pick up the
password code. (as I did).

Steve :~)

JustAnotherGuy

Steve said:
Shorty wrote in message ...

(1) The program works well.

(2) On occasions when you *have* to give your email address it's easy to use
a *disposable* email address, such as Hotmail or Yahoo, just to pick up the
password code. (as I did).

Steve :~)

OT, but that's mailinator.com's raison d'etre. Check it out.
(Basically, any e-mail sent to any (e-mail address removed) is picked up.
Anybody can access that account, w/o password or anything. Mail is
deleted after a few hours.)

Frank N'Beans

No, it's not a scam, the site was 'hooped' for a while but I got it back up.

I *may* send emails out but on the order of one every 3 months and I DO NOT
sell, loan, lease, lend, whatever the emails I get from registering so
please use a valid one... it's the least you could do for a FREE program.

Thank you,
Scott Wojan

J> Steve R. wrote:
??>> Shorty wrote in message ...
??>>
??>>> is this just a scam front to collect email addresses?
??>>
??>> (1) The program works well.
??>>
??>> (2) On occasions when you *have* to give your email address it's easy
??>> to use a *disposable* email address, such as Hotmail or Yahoo, just to
??>> pick up the password code. (as I did). Steve :~)

With best regards, Frank N'Beans. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)