Tool Question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by andre.norman, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. andre.norman

    andre.norman Guest

    Hi Everyone,

    Not a web developer so your input is greatly appreciated.

    Most of the stuff I will be putting on the web will be text only...no
    grapics, no audio,...just TEXT. So TEXT formatting is the key requirement
    here.

    Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor out there that will do all the
    following.

    1. Not generate piles of vendor specific HTML/css code (ie MS Word)
    2. Will automatically apply font tags to key words in my document.
    ie my work documents contain the key words SELECT, FROM, WHERE
    .... (you guested SQL commands)
    I would like all sql commands to automatically trigger a
    font = blue HTML tag.
    I dont want to have to manually put in the tags or select
    every occurance of the above words and change their color to blue. This is
    a key requirement.
    If there is not editor out there that can accomplish this,
    is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and apply
    font tags to key words?
    3. When I hit the enter key will not create a <P> tag...UNLESS I tell it
    too!!! (least important feature...i mean non feature)

    Thank you in advance for your expert opinion.

    AJ
    andre.norman, Dec 10, 2003

  2. andre.norman

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:F2uBb.133127$>
    andre.norman said:

    > Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor

    you cant author html properly except by hand.

    --
    brucie
    10/December/2003 04:37:29 pm kilo
    brucie, Dec 10, 2003

  3. andre.norman wrote:

    > Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor out there that will do all the
    > following.
    >
    > 1. Not generate piles of vendor specific HTML/css code (ie MS Word)

    Amaya

    > 2. Will automatically apply font tags to key words in my document.
    > ie my work documents contain the key words SELECT, FROM,
    > WHERE
    > ... (you guested SQL commands)
    > I would like all sql commands to automatically trigger a
    > font = blue HTML tag.

    <code> e.g.:

    rabbits='brown'; </code>

    With a style sheet, perhaps:

    code.sql { font-family: monospace; color: black; background-color: #ccc; }
    code.sql code.keyword { color: #aaf; background-color: white; }

    > is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and
    > apply font tags to key words?

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    while (<STDIN>) {
    $_ =~ s/(SELECT|FROM|WHERE)/<code class="keyword">\1<\/code>/g;
    print $_;
    }

    Call with: perl myScript.pl < infile > outfile

    --
    David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
    David Dorward, Dec 10, 2003
  4. andre.norman wrote:

    > If there is not editor out there that can accomplish this,
    > is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and apply
    > font tags to key words?

    Use this command:

    sed -i 's#SELECT#<code class="sqlkeyword">SELECT<\/code>#g' file.html

    To go through file.html and replace every occurance of 'SELECT' with
    '<code class="sqlkeyword">SELECT</code>'.

    The '-i' parameter DOES NOT mean 'case-insensitive', it means 'edit the
    file inline' rather than dumping the result to STDOUT.

    Then add this to your style sheet:

    code.sqlkeyword {
    color: blue;
    background-color: inherit;
    font-family: monospace;
    font-weight: bold;

    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 10, 2003
  5. andre.norman

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <br6f14$26vf9k$-berlin.de>, brucie01
    @bruciesusenetshit.info says...
    > > Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor

    > you cant author html properly except by hand.

    Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor and code the exact same way. Only
    faster....

    (it's a tool man)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 10, 2003
  6. On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:28:41 +0000, David Dorward wrote:

    > #!/usr/bin/perl
    > while (<STDIN>) {
    > $_ =~ s/(SELECT|FROM|WHERE)/<code class="keyword">\1<\/code>/g;
    > print $_;
    > }
    >

    > Call with: perl myScript.pl < infile > outfile

    Minor gotcha with this, that caught me up once: if you put the same
    filename for both infile and outfile you will end up with an empty file
    (under most shells). Reasons why best left to the imagination and the
    docs for fopen(3).
    Owen Jacobson, Dec 10, 2003
  7. andre.norman

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Whitecrest said:

    >> you cant author html properly except by hand.

    > Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor

    HTML is not a DTP language. <pokes out tongue/>

    > and code the exact same way.

    why go to the overhead of a WYSINWYG if you're going to use it to hand
    code?

    > Only faster....

    <cough>bullshit</cough>

    --
    brucie
    10/December/2003 10:12:50 pm kilo
    brucie, Dec 10, 2003
  8. David Dorward wrote:
    > while (<STDIN>) {

    Why not use "while (<>) {" instead?
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 10, 2003
  9. andre.norman

    Steve R. Guest

    Whitecrest wrote in message ...
    > Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor and code the exact same way.

    There was this *free* download of a WYSIWYG editor mentioned on some of the
    other HTML newsgroups a couple of day ago.

    Considering it's free it's very good, *provided* you check the HTML as you go
    along.

    Here's the copied post below the line ...

    For those that need a decent WYSIWYG editor, our's is free now:

    http://wojanware.com
    Steve R., Dec 10, 2003
  10. andre.norman

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <br72qj$1902$-berlin.de>, brucie01
    @bruciesusenetshit.info says...
    > >> you cant author html properly except by hand.

    > > Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor

    > HTML is not a DTP language. <pokes out tongue/>
    > > and code the exact same way.

    > why go to the overhead of a WYSINWYG if you're going to use it to hand
    > code?

    I don't, It is not either use the text editor or use the WYSIWYG
    interface. You can use both depending on what I am doing.

    > > Only faster....

    > <cough>bullshit</cough>

    Bullshit for you maybe, not for me or millions of other users. Do you
    get mad when someone drives a different car than you do, or when someone
    uses a different saw than you do? It is a tool man. Different people
    find different tools useful.

    The tool does not produce a web site, the user does. FP, Dreamweaver
    and Front page all create shitty code when in the hands of a shitty
    coder. They all produce perfect accessible, validated code too.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 10, 2003
  11. andre.norman

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Whitecrest said:

    > Do you get mad when someone drives a different car than you do,

    <kiddies look away>
    yes! why do you think i drive a truck? i just run over the little
    fuckers.
    </kiddies look away>

    --
    brucie
    10/December/2003 10:45:52 pm kilo
    brucie, Dec 10, 2003
  12. andre.norman

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <br74n7$22cr$-berlin.de>, brucie01
    @bruciesusenetshit.info says...
    > > Do you get mad when someone drives a different car than you do,

    > <kiddies look away>
    > yes! why do you think i drive a truck? i just run over the little
    > fuckers.
    > </kiddies look away>

    You don't need a truck to do that....

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 10, 2003
  13. andre.norman

    Shorty Guest

    Re: Tool Question: "wojanware" site is hooped

    this site is full of errors.

    http://wojanware.com/register.aspx

    is this just a scam front to collect email addresses?

    Shorty, Dec 11, 2003
  14. andre.norman

    Steve R. Guest

    Shorty wrote in message ...
    > is this just a scam front to collect email addresses?

    (1) The program works well.

    (2) On occasions when you *have* to give your email address it's easy to use
    a *disposable* email address, such as Hotmail or Yahoo, just to pick up the
    password code. (as I did).

    Steve :~)
    Steve R., Dec 11, 2003
  15. Re: Tool Question: "wojanware" site is hooped

    Steve R. wrote:
    > Shorty wrote in message ...
    >
    >>is this just a scam front to collect email addresses?

    > (1) The program works well.
    >
    > (2) On occasions when you *have* to give your email address it's easy to use
    > a *disposable* email address, such as Hotmail or Yahoo, just to pick up the
    > password code. (as I did).
    >
    > Steve :~)

    OT, but that's mailinator.com's raison d'etre. Check it out.
    (Basically, any e-mail sent to any is picked up.
    Anybody can access that account, w/o password or anything. Mail is
    deleted after a few hours.)
    JustAnotherGuy, Dec 11, 2003
  16. Re: Tool Question: "wojanware" site is hooped

    No, it's not a scam, the site was 'hooped' for a while but I got it back up.

    I *may* send emails out but on the order of one every 3 months and I DO NOT
    sell, loan, lease, lend, whatever the emails I get from registering so
    please use a valid one... it's the least you could do for a FREE program.

    Thank you,
    Scott Wojan

    J> Steve R. wrote:
    ??>> Shorty wrote in message ...
    ??>>
    ??>>> is this just a scam front to collect email addresses?
    ??>>
    ??>> (1) The program works well.
    ??>>
    ??>> (2) On occasions when you *have* to give your email address it's easy
    ??>> to use a *disposable* email address, such as Hotmail or Yahoo, just to
    ??>> pick up the password code. (as I did). Steve :~)

    With best regards, Frank N'Beans. E-mail:
    Frank N'Beans, Dec 11, 2003