    I've searched, but I haven't succeeded in finding anything.

    Anyone?

    , Jul 6, 2005

  2. Steve Walker Guest

    In message <>,
    writes
    >Debugging in .NET is so obnoxious. More often than not, due to the
    >whole object oriented thing, the errors I'm getting are inside of
    >objects that I then have to open up and poke through.
    >
    >I can do that. It's not the end of the world. But it takes forever.
    >
    >SQL Server has a trace utility (SQL Profiler). Has anyone made
    >anything comparable for .NET? Something that I can turn on and will
    >display a record every time a method gets called or a property gets
    >accessed or an event gets raised?
    >
    >I've searched, but I haven't succeeded in finding anything.

    Have a look at:

    http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/1969_ENG_HTML.htm

    I can't remember what all of the tools do, but the kind of thing you're
    looking for is definitely their kind of product.

    The problem you may have is that a well designed OO system is likely to
    exhibit a far higher number of calls than you would see with
    SQLProfiler, so you won't realistically be able to do it real-time. I'm
    not sure you'll really get anything more valuable than a call stack,
    which you can view through the Visual Studio IDE anyway.

    --
    Steve Walker

    Steve Walker, Jul 7, 2005

    Steve Walker wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > writes
    > >Debugging in .NET is so obnoxious. More often than not, due to the
    > >whole object oriented thing, the errors I'm getting are inside of
    > >objects that I then have to open up and poke through.
    > >
    > >I can do that. It's not the end of the world. But it takes forever.
    > >
    > >SQL Server has a trace utility (SQL Profiler). Has anyone made
    > >anything comparable for .NET? Something that I can turn on and will
    > >display a record every time a method gets called or a property gets
    > >accessed or an event gets raised?
    > >
    > >I've searched, but I haven't succeeded in finding anything.

    > Have a look at:
    >
    > http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/1969_ENG_HTML.htm
    >
    > I can't remember what all of the tools do, but the kind of thing you're
    > looking for is definitely their kind of product.

    Thanks. I'll look at it.

    > The problem you may have is that a well designed OO system is likely to
    > exhibit a far higher number of calls than you would see with
    > SQLProfiler, so you won't realistically be able to do it real-time. I'm
    > not sure you'll really get anything more valuable than a call stack,
    > which you can view through the Visual Studio IDE anyway.

    How can I do that? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but are you saying
    that I can see the call stack during execution without having to add a
    ton of extra code to my project?

    Lisa

    , Jul 7, 2005