Tool to monitor/trace all method calls?

lisa

Debugging in .NET is so obnoxious. More often than not, due to the
whole object oriented thing, the errors I'm getting are inside of
objects that I then have to open up and poke through.

I can do that. It's not the end of the world. But it takes forever.

SQL Server has a trace utility (SQL Profiler). Has anyone made
anything comparable for .NET? Something that I can turn on and will
display a record every time a method gets called or a property gets
accessed or an event gets raised?

I've searched, but I haven't succeeded in finding anything.

Anyone?

Steve Walker

In message said:
Debugging in .NET is so obnoxious. More often than not, due to the
whole object oriented thing, the errors I'm getting are inside of
objects that I then have to open up and poke through.

I can do that. It's not the end of the world. But it takes forever.

SQL Server has a trace utility (SQL Profiler). Has anyone made
anything comparable for .NET? Something that I can turn on and will
display a record every time a method gets called or a property gets
accessed or an event gets raised?

I've searched, but I haven't succeeded in finding anything.

Have a look at:

http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/1969_ENG_HTML.htm

I can't remember what all of the tools do, but the kind of thing you're
looking for is definitely their kind of product.

The problem you may have is that a well designed OO system is likely to
exhibit a far higher number of calls than you would see with
SQLProfiler, so you won't realistically be able to do it real-time. I'm
not sure you'll really get anything more valuable than a call stack,
which you can view through the Visual Studio IDE anyway.

lisa

Steve said:
Have a look at:

http://www.compuware.com/products/devpartner/1969_ENG_HTML.htm

I can't remember what all of the tools do, but the kind of thing you're
looking for is definitely their kind of product.

Thanks. I'll look at it.
The problem you may have is that a well designed OO system is likely to
exhibit a far higher number of calls than you would see with
SQLProfiler, so you won't realistically be able to do it real-time. I'm
not sure you'll really get anything more valuable than a call stack,
which you can view through the Visual Studio IDE anyway.

How can I do that? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but are you saying
that I can see the call stack during execution without having to add a
ton of extra code to my project?

Lisa