Tool to trace function calls

Thomas Glanzmann

Hello,
I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every 'call'
on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?

Thomas

Artie Gold

Thomas said:
Hello,
I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every 'call'
on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?

Thomas

As such things are inherently platform-specific, posting to a newsgroup
specific to your platform would be best; tools are not topical here.

HTH,
--ag

Grumble

Thomas said:
I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every 'call'
on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?

A call graph? man gprof

Morris Dovey

Thomas Glanzmann (in
(e-mail address removed)-erlangen.de) said:

| I am looking for a tool like strace or ltrace that accounts every
| 'call' on x86 executables. Maybe has valgrind such a option?

Thomas...

Hmm. I wrote a small trace utility to trace calls to malloc() and
friends. It should be possible to use that as a model for code to
trace an arbitrary set of functions. If interested, you can find the
source at http://www.iedu.com/mrd/c/mtrace.c - have fun! :)