    Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Build and Release
    MontaVista Software
    Carl J. Van Arsdall, Jan 12, 2007

  2. Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Torabisu Guest

    Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:
    > For those of you that work on larger applications but still code in
    > python... do your development teams use any tools to facilitate the
    > design? (i'm not asking about editors here, i'm really asking about
    > software design tools) Are these the same tools you would use to help
    > engineer software in another language?
    >
    > Is there anyone here who is forced to use a tool to design python
    > software that completely hates it? Why do you hate it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -carl
    >

    > --
    >
    > Carl J. Van Arsdall
    >
    > Build and Release
    > MontaVista Software

    Our software architects use Enterprise Architect. Its probably one of
    the cheaper modeling and UML design applications, but loaded with
    features. They do all the use cases, analysis and design with it, then
    give us the necessary flow / activity diagrams and information that we
    then use to construct our python applications. It does have a python
    interface (and obviously c, c#, java, php etc etc) allowing python code
    to be imported for class design etc etc.

    I've played with a few open source UML based tools, but unfortunately
    its not one of my strengths, I leave that up to the guys that know it
    well.
    Torabisu, Jan 12, 2007

  3. Carl,

    Some well known design applications have plugins for UML<->Python
    translation. For example EnterpriseArchitect
    (http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/resources/mdg_tech/) has a plugin for
    Python. ObjectDomain though supports it natively:
    http://www.objectdomain.com/products/od/overview.do

    The good thing about Python is that it is concise enough to not need
    UML diagrams. Python can be used as a prototype language itself. In
    other words it could take longer to draw the UML diagram than it would
    take to type up a mock-up in Python. While with Java, for example, it
    is very helpful to have a code generation application to take care of
    all the getters and setters.

    But of course if you have non-technical people who just know how to
    read UML diagrams, it makes sense to invest in a good design tool.

    Hope this helps,
    -Nick

    Nick Vatamaniuc, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Carl J. Van Arsdall a écrit :
    > For those of you that work on larger applications but still code in
    > python... do your development teams use any tools to facilitate the
    > design?

    Yes : coffee, beer, pizzas, cigarettes, paper napkins, pen, and a good wiki.

    > (i'm not asking about editors here, i'm really asking about
    > software design tools)

    <aol />

    > Thanks!

    HTH
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Carl J. Van Arsdall

    Dan Sommers Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:00:20 +0100,
    Bruno Desthuilliers <> wrote:

    > Carl J. Van Arsdall a écrit :

    >> For those of you that work on larger applications but still code in
    >> python... do your development teams use any tools to facilitate the
    >> design?

    > Yes : coffee, beer, pizzas, cigarettes, paper napkins, pen, and a good
    > wiki.

    It is a well-known fact that the best engineering tools ever invented
    are the cocktail napkin and the white board.

    Regards,
    Dan

    --
    Dan Sommers