Tools for developers ?

call_me_anything

Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Does anybody know of some such good tool.
BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Does anybody know of some such good tool.
BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

Doxygen might work. CScope could also help if it works with C++.

Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Does anybody know of some such good tool.
BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

Try redhat's Source-navigator.

Axter

Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Does anybody know of some such good tool.
BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

I highly recommend Doxygen.
http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/index.html

The following link was build using Doxygen.
http://axter.com/smartptr/

Doxygen uses the source code to build the above web pages. Although
the above source code has extra comments used to build the web page,
you can still use Doxygen on source code that doesn't have any
comments at all, and it'll produce documentation you can use to
reference logic in your source code.
Doxygen works with C, C++, and Java.

Noah Roberts

call_me_anything said:
Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

Chris

call_me_anything said:
Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Does anybody know of some such good tool.
BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

I use KDevelop exclusively for my C/C++ coding. I've even used it with
Tcl/Tk. It doesn't have code completion for Tcl/Tk though.

Noah Roberts

red said:
He said he wanted a "development environment", not an "operating system" :)

Well, you need an operating system to run a development environment, so
why not make your development environment your operating system? It's
the Unix way man.

Lionel B

You must be a vi user.

/Ex/ vi user, please (and also ex emacs user). Nowadays I use a simple
text editor and maintain vast and complex project structures entirely in
in my head - it's a steep learning curve, but the years of training have
finally paid off.

chained

* call_me_anything wrote, On 01/27/2007 03:24 PM:
Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
working of the code.
Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

If you mean the plain old Vi, then you should at least switch to
Vim/gVim and use ctags/cscope for code navigation.

I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
to understand a complex huge project by making function call
generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
But I haven't really found any good tool.

Does anybody know of some such good tool.
BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

You need to install CDT plugin to develop C/C++ with Eclipse. Personally
I find it bloated, and practically useless.