    Does anybody know of some such good tool.
    BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
    Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?
    call_me_anything, Jan 27, 2007

  2. On 2007-01-27 14:24, call_me_anything wrote:
    > Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    > working of the code.
    > Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
    >
    > I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    > to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    > generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    > But I haven't really found any good tool.
    >
    > Does anybody know of some such good tool.
    > BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
    > Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

    Doxygen might work. CScope could also help if it works with C++.

    --
    Erik Wikström
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Jan 27, 2007

  3. call_me_anything

    r Guest

    On Jan 27, 9:24 pm, "call_me_anything" <> wrote:
    > Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    > working of the code.
    > Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
    >
    > I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    > to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    > generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    > But I haven't really found any good tool.
    >
    > Does anybody know of some such good tool.
    > BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
    > Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

    Try redhat's Source-navigator.
    r, Jan 27, 2007
  4. call_me_anything

    Axter Guest

    On Jan 27, 8:24 am, "call_me_anything" <> wrote:
    > Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    > working of the code.
    > Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
    >
    > I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    > to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    > generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    > But I haven't really found any good tool.
    >
    > Does anybody know of some such good tool.
    > BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
    > Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

    I highly recommend Doxygen.
    http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/index.html

    The following link was build using Doxygen.
    http://axter.com/smartptr/

    Doxygen uses the source code to build the above web pages. Although
    the above source code has extra comments used to build the web page,
    you can still use Doxygen on source code that doesn't have any
    comments at all, and it'll produce documentation you can use to
    reference logic in your source code.
    Doxygen works with C, C++, and Java.
    Axter, Jan 27, 2007
  5. call_me_anything

    Noah Roberts Guest

    call_me_anything wrote:
    > Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    > working of the code.
    > Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
    >
    > I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    > to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    > generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    > But I haven't really found any good tool.

    Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.
    Noah Roberts, Jan 27, 2007
  6. On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts <> wrote:

    >call_me_anything wrote:
    >> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    >> working of the code.
    >> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
    >>
    >> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    >> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    >> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    >> But I haven't really found any good tool.

    >Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

    Name-calling gets you no respect.

    -dr
    Dave Rahardja, Jan 27, 2007
  7. call_me_anything

    Lionel B Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:

    > call_me_anything wrote:
    >> Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    >> working of the code.
    >> Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
    >>
    >> I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    >> to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    >> generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    >> But I haven't really found any good tool.

    > Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

    Get a grip, man! That particular holy war is just soooo 80's.

    --
    Lionel B
    Lionel B, Jan 27, 2007
  8. call_me_anything

    red floyd Guest

    red floyd, Jan 27, 2007
  9. call_me_anything

    Chris Guest

    call_me_anything wrote:

    > Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    > working of the code.
    > Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.
    >
    > I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    > to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    > generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    > But I haven't really found any good tool.
    >
    > Does anybody know of some such good tool.
    > BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
    > Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

    I use KDevelop exclusively for my C/C++ coding. I've even used it with
    Tcl/Tk. It doesn't have code completion for Tcl/Tk though.

    --
    Chris
    Chris, Jan 27, 2007
  10. call_me_anything

    Noah Roberts Guest

    red floyd wrote:
    > Noah Roberts wrote:
    >> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

    > He said he wanted a "development environment", not an "operating system" :)

    Well, you need an operating system to run a development environment, so
    why not make your development environment your operating system? It's
    the Unix way man.
    Noah Roberts, Jan 28, 2007
  11. call_me_anything

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Dave Rahardja wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

    > Name-calling gets you no respect.

    I suppose being too stupid or hard ass to get a joke does?
    Noah Roberts, Jan 28, 2007
  12. call_me_anything

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Lionel B wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
    >
    >> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

    > Get a grip, man! That particular holy war is just soooo 80's.

    You must be a vi user.
    Noah Roberts, Jan 28, 2007
  13. On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:48:29 -0800, Noah Roberts <> wrote:

    >Dave Rahardja wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

    >> Name-calling gets you no respect.

    >I suppose being too stupid or hard ass to get a joke does?

    <joke>Shut up, Troll.</joke>
    Dave Rahardja, Jan 28, 2007
  14. call_me_anything

    Lionel B Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:49:02 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:

    > Lionel B wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:03:34 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tell those dumbasses to stop using vi and get xemacs.

    >> Get a grip, man! That particular holy war is just soooo 80's.
    >>

    > You must be a vi user.

    /Ex/ vi user, please (and also ex emacs user). Nowadays I use a simple
    text editor and maintain vast and complex project structures entirely in
    in my head - it's a steep learning curve, but the years of training have
    finally paid off.

    --
    Lionel B
    Lionel B, Jan 28, 2007
  15. call_me_anything

    chained Guest

    * call_me_anything wrote, On 01/27/2007 03:24 PM:
    > Our group uses Vi editor for writing code and "grep" to understand the
    > working of the code.
    > Seems like we are living 20 years behind the current age.

    If you mean the plain old Vi, then you should at least switch to
    Vim/gVim and use ctags/cscope for code navigation.

    > I have searched for some good tools on the net which can atleast help
    > to understand a complex huge project by making function call
    > generators, class relationship diagrams etc.
    > But I haven't really found any good tool.
    >
    > Does anybody know of some such good tool.
    > BTW, Java people sing loads of praises of Eclipse.
    > Is it usable for C/C++ with Tcl/Tk projects ?

    You need to install CDT plugin to develop C/C++ with Eclipse. Personally
    I find it bloated, and practically useless.
    chained, Jan 28, 2007