    results?

    Thanks in advance.
    , Apr 28, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I'm a bit of a newbee to C++. I'm also working in a shop that doesn't
    > use c++ much, so I'm hunting and pecking for tools to help us evaluate
    > our code. We've been using a tool called GlowCode to detect memory
    > leaks. This has been working great. We'd like to use a tool to help
    > us detect/analyze heap corruption. Can anyone suggest a good tool?
    > Preferibly, one that we can try for free for at least a short period of
    > time before being forced to purchase. If a tool is not the way to go,
    > can anyone suggest the most efficient way to get the same kind of
    > results?

    You'd be much better off asking in a newsgroup for your platform since
    those tools are very platform-specific. Some of them exist on more than
    one platform (OS), but some don't. Just to throw in a couple of names,
    Rational Purify, valgrind, Parasoft's Insure++. Please let's not start
    the discussion on them here, it's OT.

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Walter Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm a bit of a newbee to C++. I'm also working in a shop that doesn't
    > use c++ much, so I'm hunting and pecking for tools to help us evaluate
    > our code. We've been using a tool called GlowCode to detect memory
    > leaks. This has been working great. We'd like to use a tool to help
    > us detect/analyze heap corruption. Can anyone suggest a good tool?
    > Preferibly, one that we can try for free for at least a short period of
    > time before being forced to purchase. If a tool is not the way to go,
    > can anyone suggest the most efficient way to get the same kind of
    > results?

    The mem memory allocation debugger is very portable. I've used it for years,
    and it's very effective at rooting out buffer underruns, overruns, memory
    leaks, double deletes, dangling pointers, etc. It's also free.

    ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/ctools.zip mem.h, mem.c memory allocation debugger
    Walter, Apr 29, 2005