tools for programming applets

Martin Gregorie

True, up to a point. You’ll probably need a full-size database to do
performance testing, that kind of thing.
True enough, but where I've worked on significant projects, there will be
a hierarchy of system versions:

- developer: replicated as needed, little more data than is required
for unit testing and module regression tests.

- integration: used for end-to-end tests, performance testing, etc.
Has enough data to allow meaningful performance measurement and
realistic database tuning.

- acceptance test: used to check that versions that pass
integration testing can be installed successfully and that
upgrades work without destroying data, etc as well as for
user acceptance testing. May also be used for end user training.

- the production system.

Michael Wojcik

Lew said:
Once again, silly remark and no argument. The question is what
languages BESIDES Java DO have such a thing. The point is that the
other languages don't either, so there is no advantage to any language
on that score.

To be fair, horrible, ill-designed, bloated, overrated, unnecessary,
standards-violating third-party libraries exist for many languages.
There are probably even some for Java.

It's true they're rarely as undeservedly popular as jQuery is.

Alessio Stalla

The one big criticism I might accept of jQuery is that it hides features
of the DOM that web developers really ought to learn.

That, and the fact that it somewhat encourages an always-use-selectors-
first style which is not the most efficient way of doing things. That
said, I love jQuery too. I wouldn't love it that much if the DOM API
wasn't the horrible, verbose thing that it is.

Alessio

Michael Wojcik

Lawrence said:
“Undeservedly popular†is in the eye of the beholder.

The sheer brilliance of your ability to distinguish between the
objective and subjective is inspiring. What's next? Left from right?
Hot from cold? Substantive from inane and trite?

Probably not the last, I'm guessing.

Silvio

Applets are server-side, not clients.

Nonsense, an applet is a client. The only "server-side" thing about it
is that it's code was delivered by a server. Following that reasoning an
image or a any piece of JavaScript on a web page is also server side.
You mean, other than by trying to circumvent its security.

An Applet has no security of it's own. Only when run as part of a web
page does the user agent impose well defined limitations on the runtime
running the untrusted Applet. This is done to protect the client system
from being harmed by the Applet, not to protect the Applet from the
outer world. As such the security is part of the user agent, not the Applet.