Tools for reading Dr Dobb's Python-URL

Egbert Bouwman

What is _the_ tool for reading Dr. Dobb's Python-URL,
I mean not only seeing the url's, but opening them as well ?

I have made a python-script which handles it reasonably well,
but someone must have invented a better wheel before me.

egbert

Egbert Bouwman

Open the message in your news reader.
Click on an URL in the message.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm not sure what you want to
do, really?

My mail reader is the text-based Mutt, which:
- doesn't react to mouse clicks
- does show url's in a different color
- seems not to do anything useful with them

The Mutt-documentation says that in order to read the document
an url refers to, you have to pipe the e-mail into another program,
eg. urlview.
But that program only shows a list of all the url's in the
e-mail-message, without context, and that is not very illuminating,
especially not if many of them refer to googled [mailman] groups.

So I am am looking for something better.
egbert

Irmen de Jong

Egbert said:
My mail reader is the text-based Mutt, which:
- doesn't react to mouse clicks
- does show url's in a different color
- seems not to do anything useful with them

I see. Would the DrDobbs web page I pointed at
(http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/)
not be a good alternative for you?
If you accept a slight delay until the latest
Python-URL is posted on that web site, you can
read it and click all links by using any web browser...

I cannot help you with a better alternative
to mutt if you want to use a text-based mail reader,
sorry.

--Irmen