tools to analyze the code at compile time

junky_fellow

guys,

Are you aware of any good tool that analyze the source code
statically (ie at compile time and not at run time) ? This tool
should be able to find out very obvious coding errors like memory
leaks, derefencing a NULL pointer, memory corruption etc. Has anyone
used such a tool ? Are these tools really useful in code analysis ?

thanks for any suggestions ........

santosh

guys,

Are you aware of any good tool that analyze the source code
statically (ie at compile time and not at run time) ? This tool
should be able to find out very obvious coding errors like memory
leaks, derefencing a NULL pointer, memory corruption etc. Has anyone
used such a tool ? Are these tools really useful in code analysis ?

thanks for any suggestions ........

Various lint programs (eg: splint, PCLint), Purify, Valgrind etc.

scholz.lothar

guys,

Are you aware of any good tool that analyze the source code
statically (ie at compile time and not at run time) ? This tool
should be able to find out very obvious coding errors like memory
leaks, derefencing a NULL pointer, memory corruption etc. Has anyone
used such a tool ? Are these tools really useful in code analysis ?

I tried to use lint on my source. Be warned this tool make you
depressive.
You have to add so many comment hints that it is a pain in the ass.
Only
if you writing a new system from scratch and using lint from the first
moment
(like sun does with the solaris kernel) it is usefull - otherwise it
is a waste
of time.

It's better to use the dynamic tools: valgrid, garbage collector etc.
C has to less
semantic to find errors.