    exists for it but are there any other tools out there that one can use
    for debugging purposes? Something that can run across all OS's?

    TIA

    milkyway, Nov 15, 2005

  2. milkyway

    ynotssor Guest

    "milkyway" <> wrote in message
    news:

    > I am using Linux (2.6.4) with Suse. I have a core file. I know gdb
    > exists for it but are there any other tools out there that one can use
    > for debugging purposes? Something that can run across all OS's?

    gdb is open-source for that reason

    ynotssor, Nov 15, 2005

  3. milkyway

    Ed Prochak Guest

    milkyway wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using Linux (2.6.4) with Suse. I have a core file. I know gdb
    > exists for it but are there any other tools out there that one can use
    > for debugging purposes? Something that can run across all OS's?
    >
    > TIA

    <satire mode ON>
    So, how many OS's is your core file compatible with???
    <satire mode OFF>

    Now if you care to tell us, what do you really want to do??
    For example, what's your definition of "all OS's"?

    Ed

    Ed Prochak, Nov 15, 2005
  4. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    All I wanted was something that I could use for debugging (with the
    input as a core file) - but - at the same time, I would like to be able
    to debug an executable as well (using something like a.out as an input
    to the debugger). I know gdb exists but I remember (a long time ago)
    that there was perhaps another tool that one could use - it had a
    graphical user interface and was pretty good. It ran on a SUN system
    (now I have Linux) but I just doesn't remember the name.

    I had wanted something that could run with other OS's because I am now
    developing with Linux but I may move to another OS - like AIX or SUN
    and just did not want to start all over again looking for nice tools.

    milkyway, Nov 16, 2005
  5. milkyway wrote:
    > All I wanted was something that I could use for debugging (with the
    > input as a core file) - but - at the same time, I would like to be able
    > to debug an executable as well (using something like a.out as an input
    > to the debugger). I know gdb exists but I remember (a long time ago)
    > that there was perhaps another tool that one could use - it had a
    > graphical user interface and was pretty good. It ran on a SUN system
    > (now I have Linux) but I just doesn't remember the name.
    >
    > I had wanted something that could run with other OS's because I am now
    > developing with Linux but I may move to another OS - like AIX or SUN
    > and just did not want to start all over again looking for nice tools.

    <OT>

    (you were probably running the native SUN debugger. Pretty nice
    as I recall, but of course it was (is?) SUN specific.)

    Check out DDD running gdb. This will handle both executables
    and core files and can be run on a lot of different systems.

    <OT>

    William Hughes, Nov 16, 2005
  6. milkyway

    Ed Prochak Guest

    milkyway wrote:
    > All I wanted was something that I could use for debugging (with the
    > input as a core file) - but - at the same time, I would like to be able
    > to debug an executable as well (using something like a.out as an input
    > to the debugger). I know gdb exists but I remember (a long time ago)
    > that there was perhaps another tool that one could use - it had a
    > graphical user interface and was pretty good. It ran on a SUN system
    > (now I have Linux) but I just doesn't remember the name.
    >
    > I had wanted something that could run with other OS's because I am now
    > developing with Linux but I may move to another OS - like AIX or SUN
    > and just did not want to start all over again looking for nice tools.

    the predecessor to gdb was dbg IIRC.

    And it sounds like you want to stay in the UNIX family of Operating
    systems. Your first post didn't say that. So we had to wonder if that
    included MS windows, VMS, or others.

    Sorry, but I don't have any good suggestions for you. But I'm sure
    there are some out there.

    Ed

    Ed Prochak, Nov 16, 2005
  7. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    I followed William's advice and chose DDD. I had tried to use something
    called KDevelop at first but it seemed a bit cumbersome. The DDD seems
    to be nice enough though ;-)

    milkyway, Nov 17, 2005