Tools to debug core file

milkyway

Hello,

I am using Linux (2.6.4) with Suse. I have a core file. I know gdb
exists for it but are there any other tools out there that one can use
for debugging purposes? Something that can run across all OS's?

TIA

ynotssor

I am using Linux (2.6.4) with Suse. I have a core file. I know gdb
exists for it but are there any other tools out there that one can use
for debugging purposes? Something that can run across all OS's?

gdb is open-source for that reason

Ed Prochak

milkyway said:
Hello,

I am using Linux (2.6.4) with Suse. I have a core file. I know gdb
exists for it but are there any other tools out there that one can use
for debugging purposes? Something that can run across all OS's?

TIA

<satire mode ON>
So, how many OS's is your core file compatible with???
<satire mode OFF>

Now if you care to tell us, what do you really want to do??
For example, what's your definition of "all OS's"?

Ed

milkyway

All I wanted was something that I could use for debugging (with the
input as a core file) - but - at the same time, I would like to be able
to debug an executable as well (using something like a.out as an input
to the debugger). I know gdb exists but I remember (a long time ago)
that there was perhaps another tool that one could use - it had a
graphical user interface and was pretty good. It ran on a SUN system
(now I have Linux) but I just doesn't remember the name.

I had wanted something that could run with other OS's because I am now
developing with Linux but I may move to another OS - like AIX or SUN
and just did not want to start all over again looking for nice tools.

William Hughes

milkyway said:
All I wanted was something that I could use for debugging (with the
input as a core file) - but - at the same time, I would like to be able
to debug an executable as well (using something like a.out as an input
to the debugger). I know gdb exists but I remember (a long time ago)
that there was perhaps another tool that one could use - it had a
graphical user interface and was pretty good. It ran on a SUN system
(now I have Linux) but I just doesn't remember the name.

I had wanted something that could run with other OS's because I am now
developing with Linux but I may move to another OS - like AIX or SUN
and just did not want to start all over again looking for nice tools.

<OT>

(you were probably running the native SUN debugger. Pretty nice
as I recall, but of course it was (is?) SUN specific.)

Check out DDD running gdb. This will handle both executables
and core files and can be run on a lot of different systems.

<OT>

Ed Prochak

milkyway said:
All I wanted was something that I could use for debugging (with the
input as a core file) - but - at the same time, I would like to be able
to debug an executable as well (using something like a.out as an input
to the debugger). I know gdb exists but I remember (a long time ago)
that there was perhaps another tool that one could use - it had a
graphical user interface and was pretty good. It ran on a SUN system
(now I have Linux) but I just doesn't remember the name.

I had wanted something that could run with other OS's because I am now
developing with Linux but I may move to another OS - like AIX or SUN
and just did not want to start all over again looking for nice tools.

the predecessor to gdb was dbg IIRC.

And it sounds like you want to stay in the UNIX family of Operating
systems. Your first post didn't say that. So we had to wonder if that
included MS windows, VMS, or others.

Sorry, but I don't have any good suggestions for you. But I'm sure
there are some out there.

Ed

milkyway

I followed William's advice and chose DDD. I had tried to use something
called KDevelop at first but it seemed a bit cumbersome. The DDD seems
to be nice enough though ;-)