ToolTipText not showing

Håkan Lane

I use the setToolTipText to add help popup texts to some of the
JButtons in my application. They show up when running it locally from
NetBeans, but not when accessing it through the Java Web start page. Why
is that? I attach the jnlp file if that should be the source of the
problem.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- JNLP File for SwingSet2 Demo Application -->
<jnlp
spec="1.0+"
codebase="http://cafka.econ.au.dk/LMDG_Doc/"
<information>
<title>Cafkadoc Java Application</title>
<vendor>CLS</vendor>
<homepage
href="/home/hlane/java/workspace/Cafka/Cafkadoc/dist/index.html"/>
<description>Cafka documentation application</description>
<description kind="short">Application for documentation about the
DLS
projects</description>
<offline-allowed/>
</information>
<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>
<application-desc>
</application-desc>
<resources>
<j2se version="1.5+"/>
<jar href="Cafkadoc.jar"/>
</resources>
</jnlp>

Thanks in advance.

Roedy Green

They show up when running it locally from
NetBeans, but not when accessing it through the Java Web start page.

Are they both using the same JVM? Does it work when run as a
standalone application? Are you using the same L&F in both cases?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/laf.html

I'm using ToolTips in the Replicator running under Java 1.6 and Java
Web Start in Opera. They are working just fine.

baseDirChange = new JEButton( "Change" );
baseDirChange.setToolTipText( "Change the base directory" );

You might try running the replicator, at least enough to see if its
tooltips work for you. See
http://mindprod.com/webstart/replicator.html

If they don't, the problem is likely in your browser or your JDK
install.