top 10 things to learn from web pages that suck

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Matt Clara, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Matt Clara

    Matt Clara Guest

    Matt Clara, Apr 13, 2005

  2. On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:47:24 GMT, Matt Clara <>
    wrote:

    > Interesting article--number three reminds me of many around these
    > parts...
    > http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-web-design-mistakes-in-2004.html

    Funny, author must have missed the one that says 'spoiling over half of
    screen of visitor by using too narrow a collumn for displaying the main
    content'.

    Barbara de Zoete, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > > Interesting article--number three reminds me of many around these
    > > parts...

    http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-web-design-mistakes-in-2004.html
    > Funny, author must have missed the one that says 'spoiling over half

    of
    > screen of visitor by using too narrow a collumn for displaying the

    main
    > content'.

    Maybe he didn't miss it. Maybe that is not as big an issue for him as
    it is for you. Not everyone agrees on what makes a good page and a bad
    page. For the author, your width nssue may fall into this catagory.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Matt Clara

    kchayka Guest

    Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:47:24 GMT, Matt Clara <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-web-design-mistakes-in-2004.html

    > Funny, author must have missed the one that says 'spoiling over half of
    > screen of visitor by using too narrow a collumn for displaying the main
    > content'.

    Just be thankful he didn't make it a fixed-width layout.

    kchayka, Apr 13, 2005
  5. "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote:

    >> Interesting article--number three reminds me of many around these
    >> parts...
    >> http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-web-design-mistakes-in-2004
    >> .html

    > Funny, author must have missed the one that says 'spoiling over
    > half of screen of visitor by using too narrow a collumn for
    > displaying the main content'.

    Not surprising. There's a law that requires that any Web page that
    teaches design principles and warns against bad practices must itself
    make at least one _fundamental_ mistake in its design.

    (If anyone tells that there's no such law, how else can he explain how
    its principle actually applies without a single exception?)

    Here's an example of a _bad_ title element (too long, not much
    identifying information):

    <title>Web Pages That Suck presents the biggest web design mistakes in
    2004 learn usability and good Web design by looking at bad Web
    design</title>

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Not surprising. There's a law that requires that any Web page that
    > teaches design principles and warns against bad practices must itself
    > make at least one _fundamental_ mistake in its design.

    Are your own pages included in this law? ;-)

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Apr 13, 2005
  7. Matt Clara

    Jim Royal Guest

    In article <opso6ddmovx5vgts@zoete_b>, Barbara de Zoete
    <> wrote:

    > > http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-web-design-mistakes-in-2004.html
    > >

    > Funny, author must have missed the one that says 'spoiling over half of
    > screen of visitor by using too narrow a collumn for displaying the main
    > content'.

    I think that the point of "Web Pages That Suck" would be lost if the
    pages didn't suck.

    --
    Jim Royal
    "Understanding is a three-edged sword"

    Jim Royal, Apr 14, 2005
  8. in alt.html, Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    > > Not surprising. There's a law that requires that any Web page that
    > > teaches design principles and warns against bad practices must itself
    > > make at least one _fundamental_ mistake in its design.

    > Are your own pages included in this law? ;-)

    Background image? I use actually use:
    #cs-tut-fi {background-image:none !important;}
    #cs-tut-fi * {background-image:none !important;}
    and user.js found from Rijk's page for Opera to get id.

    Hard to say if it is fundamental flaw...

    Propably others as well. (And my own pages are badly structured, server
    sends no charset header...)

    Utrecht, NL.
    Support me, buy Opera:
    https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=882173

    Lauri Raittila, Apr 14, 2005

    Lauri Raittila, Apr 14, 2005
  10. Leif K-Brooks, Apr 14, 2005
  11. Matt Clara

    joy beeson Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:33:12 +0200, "Barbara de Zoete"
    <> wrote:

    > Funny, author must have missed the one that says 'spoiling over half of
    > screen of visitor by using too narrow a collumn for displaying the main
    > content'.

    He also missed "All links open in a new window that you have
    to fuss about getting rid of, and most of them lead only to
    'click here to get plug-in', so visitor stops clicking on
    links."

    Joy Beeson
    --
    http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/